Author Topic: RIP Rick Parfitt  (Read 7964 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Rick Parfitt
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
Status Quo were a real people's band, they did nothing for your brains, but there was something primal and joyous about them (aided by the fact that most of their songs were in major keys and whenever they rarely played a minor key song you could bet that Rossi's solo would be transposed and back in a major key again). You went to a Quo gig like you went to a game of your favorite soccer or football team.

For a hard rock musician that played rhythm guitar and sang perhaps a third of Quo's canon, the coverage of his death in Europe was wide - all the major newspapers covered it and generally benevolently with the remark that to build a career as long lasting as his "based on three chords" was an achievement in itself (most Quo songs have more chords, they often altered the trad 12 bar scheme with more "poppy" sounding related chords, a lot of their stuff - especially Rossi's songwriting - is even British folk music inspired). But Quo themselves played on the image given to them, they never pretended to be art.

Over the years - after the original, much loved and grittier, less poppy original line up split -, Rossi and Parfitt cultivated a sort of Abbott & Costello image for themselves, they were alsways the duo identitfied with Quo (though the "new" line up stayed stable for decades, drum stool excepted).

They became the trademark of Quo to an extent that the Queen of England asked a momentarily single Rossi at a Royal Reception: "But there is two of you, right?!"

I'm sure there were legal reasons for that image too: When Rossi and Parfitt wrestled the Status Quo name out of bassist Alan Lancaster's hands in the mid-80ies, the judge found in favor of them that the Status Quo brand was intrinsically identified with them as long as they stayed together and made music.

The ubiquity of Francis/Rick goofy, self-deprecating shots plus their incessant touring had a lot to do with Rick being remembered like he was now. I don't remember Jon Lord being in the evening news in Germany when he died though DP beat Status Quo in Germany anytime as regards media sales and concert attendance figures - not to mention acceptance as "serious musicians". But folksy Quo were well-liked and -known by people with even the most fleeting knowledge of their music.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:01:40 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
Between my friends in the UK and my musician friends, my timeline on Facebook had plenty of announcement posts. The first time I ever heard of Quo was in '84 when I got to England, and they seemed (to me) to be more of a sentimental favorite/oldies band even then, but they were well loved, so I'm not surprised to see Rick's passing making the kind of impact (in England/Europe) that it is. RIP

Being old and sober, I do remember Pictures of Matchstick Men in the late 60s, but had no idea the band still existed until about 1990 when the radio station playing at work aired a long story about their history.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »
That's true that Status Quo was one of those famous bands that didn't get enough attention at all in the U.S...

Michael's comment is nicely to the point... oddly, from what I remember, although it is not entirely true, musically or otherwise, it was oft commented that they never broke the USofA due to Foghat (being perceived as a USofA "boogie" band) holding that niche so successfully... as a side order, it was also oft quoted that GFR didn't break here because of the Sabbs... neither sounds right to me, then or now, but that was the press...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
GFR hadly ever toured Europe, they were busy enough in the US. By the time they toured Europe, they were past their commercial (if not artistic - I like the later GFR stuff better) prime. There is a similarity in Grand Funk's and Black Sabbath early formative work - that bludgeoning, lava-style approach (Cactus had that too), but both bands left that behind and stretched their wings by their third albums. Grand Funk showed their Detroit/Motown roots more and more as they progressed as songwriters, they became really souldful by the time Craig Frost had become a permanent member and I always thought that made them stand out, but it didn't catch on in Europe where they were perceived as a singles band with more poppy tracks such as We're an American Band, Locomotion and Some Kind of Wonderful. You danced to Grand Funk songs at school discos, but you didn't ardently listen through their live double albums at home. No idea why. I knew them well from my days at the American School in Kinshasa where they were as popular as Deep Purple and Led Zep (and Sabbath).

Quo repeatedly tried to crack the US - more tours, more commercial producers, remixing their albums more "FM friendly" for the US market, none of it worked and by the late 70ies they had pretty much given up, a US remix of the Whatever You Want  album being their last half-hearted attempt (it went nowhere in the US). At the same time they were hugely successful everywhere else (Europe, Japan, Australia), so eventually they did what GFR did and tour their tried and trusted markets. Noddy Holder of Slade (who also never cracked the US) once said that they shared the fate with Slade of "being too British" (together with the fact that they both shunned drawn out soloing which Holder felt was mandatory by audience expectations on the US concert circuit at the time: "We'd play 12 songs in 45 minutes and Humble Pie would play six songs in 2 1/2 hours, we'd watch them open-mouthed, it was a complete new world to us, but we just weren't that type of band."). But that theory can't account for the fact why a band so overtly Limey (and song oriented rather than solo-happy) as The Kinks always meant more in the US than in their home country.

And I really don't think that there is an American band that sounds remotely like Status Quo - that brash British, perennially throbbing and thrusting guitar sound coupled with the catchy melodies and their harmony vocals was pretty unique (if repetetive). For a band that did a lot of 12 bar influenced music, they were strangely unbluesy (as they were the first admit: they only began listening to blues in the late sixties, way after the British blues boom, the American blues greats meant nothing to them and they felt inadequate because of that). Foghat were way more bluesy than Quo, they were the white stadium version of black blues just as Rare Earth were the white stadium version of black soul.

With their penchant for songs in major keys, Quo are probably best comparable to US Southern Rock bands. Maybe the Lynyrd Skynyrds, Molly Hatchets, Outlaws, Blackfoots and 38 Specials of this world kept them out of the market, but then you could say that where there is room for a couple of bands of that type of music, shouldn't there always be room for one more?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:36:05 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
I'm sure there was room for Status Quo in the U.S.  It just sounds like it was just circumstances working against them. 

This talk of GFR got me to thinking about them for the first time in a long time.  Next to Paul McCartney, I probably felt more inspired by Mel Schacher than anyone.   Playing their songs on stage was a lot of fun.  Still, when asked to list influences, I'm often hesitant to list Mel Schacher.  Because I always had to dumb down those bass lines a little to also do the singing.  I just listened to  "Inside Looking Out" and "I'm Your Captain."  I'd give Mel a 10 and myself a 6.5.  But at least I can list him as a influence again if that ever becomes necessary.  It has been discussed here before.  The critics slammed GFR as being just a garage band.  Maybe they weren't very complex.  But I was drawn to the music anyway, especially their early music. 

Nevertheless, now I'm listening to Status Quo.  "Piledriver" and later "Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon." 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:43:37 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
Schacher is a mighty fine bassist, very natural and organic, lots of notes without ever getting in the way. Their big mouth management did them no favors with a lot of people, but both individually (yes, I liked Mark Farner's voice) and as an ensemble, GFR were always gravely underrated IMHO. Their album sleeves tended to be a bit naff (except for that black & white live shot on the 1st live album which was 70ies iconic in look).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
In the band which did the Grand Funk songs, our keyboardist looked so much like Mark Farner that it was uncanny.  But he had little to do because we focused on songs from the early albums.  I'll agree that, in general, GFR album covers were lacking, though.  Not really very professional. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
The late sixties/seventies were the age of the iconic album sleeve. If you had a sleeve that meant or said something, it was generally an indication that your music meant something/had something to say too. I'll readily admit that I explored and got to like numerous albums via a sleeve design that attracted me - probably more than through radio airplay.

Some album covers - Sgt. Pepper, Deep Purple in Rock, Led Zep II, Uriah Heep's Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, the Stones' Sticky Fingers, Wishbone Ash's Argus, Tull's Aqualung, Sanatana's Abraxas (to this day what I imagine a psychedelic trip to look like, never mind I never took one!), pretty much anything by Roger Dean (Yes, Osibisa), ELP's Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery, David Bowie's Diamond Dogs, the Sab's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits (the Warner Bros sleeve) - simply had me in awe just by their look before I even heard the first note.

The death of that art (the downsizing to CD size was a first step) is one reason why I hate what downloading music brought upon (or took away from) us ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »
I don't even have a record player that works.  Still, sometimes I will buy an album.  Sometimes it's just because of the album cover art.  That's an art form that will definitely be missed. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Still got a few hundred LP's (including GFR's Live Album) and so does Jackie, and a player... old school player...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »
In my point of view one of the worst inventions of the 20th century is the jewelcase.
That dreadful design by Peter Doodson has been the frustration of every person on this planet who has ever bought a CD.

1. As Uwe pointed out it is too small. Photographs in the booklet or inlay are diminished to post stamp size.
2. Nobody has ever managed to get a booklet out without frantically trying to get a grip with his or her nails to get the booklet past those little plastic domes at the edge of the lid.
3. The little plastic half round lips always leave ugly dents in the booklet once you've finally managed to get the booklet back in, but not quite under those little half round lips...
4. The part of the jewel case where the booklet sits, always breaks at the hinge. Forever separating the disc and the cover. A very weak point.
5. The middle of the tray that is supposed to hold the CD always breaks after time. Causing the CD to slide around in the case.

I could go on for hours about this awful piece of industrial design.
Thanx for letting me vent...

All hail the vinyl sleeve!
 :toast:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
I hate to be a killjoy, but to most, it is difficult to break or scratch an MP3 or a JPG, and when I can carry several thousand songs in a tiny scrap of silicon in an ali case when I'm nowhere near a wifi point...

I have the vinyl for the art-form it was...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 05:15:02 PM »
Being old and sober, I do remember Pictures of Matchstick Men in the late 60s, but had no idea the band still existed until about 1990 when the radio station playing at work aired a long story about their history.

Same here

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:43 AM »
I agree, jewel boxes also look incredibly cheap as the plastic ages, dulls, scratches and becomes more and more brittle. Vinyl sleeves aged nicely.

The one thing I like CDs for - but it is a major issue for me as a bassist - is the quality/focus of the bass frequencies. I remember listening to the late 60ies Mk I recordings of DP for the first time on CD - albums I had listened to hundreds of times as vinyl and believed to know note for note - and I could for the first time actually hear Ian Paice's busy bass drum as it followed the music. It was a revelation.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
I lost all the info over the summer because of computer problems.  But I used to have several good articles explaining why CD quality is the best.  Some of it has to do with having a better bass sound.  Now I've spent way more on CDs through the years than vinyl albums, too.  Some people seem convinced vinyl is better, but I don't think so.  Still, since like I was saying, sometimes I still buy vinyl albums despite not having a record player.  Maybe there are subliminal messages somewhere.  It's like I read about the guy in the 60s who said he knew there must be subliminal messages in TV commercials.  Because his wife would keep buying dog food, but they had no dog. 

--Blaise Pascal