Author Topic: Alembic Exploiter on the 'bay.  (Read 2173 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Alembic Exploiter on the 'bay.
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
No affiliation to the seller. Usually I don't like all black basses but this one looks A-ok!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alembic-Exploiter-4-string-bass-86-w-HSC-/220767284345?pt=Guitar&hash=item3366c16c79#ht_1782wt_261
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Alembic Exploiter on the 'bay.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »
Nice!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
I'm so glad I'm broke or I soon would be... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
The guy selling that bass bought it as part of a lot of three Exploiters that were sold in a questionable-looking auction that turned out to be 100% legit. Think he paid five grand or something.

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »
Relisted for $100 less.  I suspect he'll have to go lower to get it to sell.  Not that it's not worth it (don't know), but not as many people paying that kind of money for a used bass these days it seems.  Unless it's a Fender or a Ric.  Mine was $1800, no case, and 32" scale.  Impossible to find a case that fits, Alembic wanted $600 for one a few years ago.  I doubt I could play a long scale, mine is a reach for the lower frets.  I'm a short scale human, though, normal sized folks may not have the problem.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
Relisted for $100 less.  I suspect he'll have to go lower to get it to sell.  Not that it's not worth it (don't know), but not as many people paying that kind of money for a used bass these days it seems.  Unless it's a Fender or a Ric.  Mine was $1800, no case, and 32" scale.  Impossible to find a case that fits, Alembic wanted $600 for one a few years ago.  I doubt I could play a long scale, mine is a reach for the lower frets.  I'm a short scale human, though, normal sized folks may not have the problem.

$600 from Alembic? Maybe 20-25 years ago. Not any time recently.

The market for used Alembics may be limited today, at least they aren't talked about as much as they used to be. OTOH these really aren't that common. Maybe it's a matter of waiting for the right buyer.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:12:25 PM »
I thought he was saying $600 just for an Alembic case.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
I had an Exploiter and the case was a monster!

My biggest problem with the Exploiter was that I kept banging the point into door jambs. If you had something like a Spyder (the John Entwistle version with the inlaid spider-webs) then each ding would be hundreds of dollars falling off the value, so I can't see myself getting another one - unless it was 8-strings and fell into my lap.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:31 AM »

I should read more closely.

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »

I was.  That's the price quoted by the Alembic dealer for an Exploiter case, several years ago.  I ended up using an SKB 88 key wheeled keyboard case, it wouldn't fit in anything else.  Ripped out the foam and cut styrofoam to shape w/a scroll saw, covered it in velvet.   The bass itself was $1800.  More than I wanted to pay, but had been looking for ages and had money to burn back then.