Author Topic: Misinformation About RDs  (Read 968 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Misinformation About RDs
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
Ed should do his research properly particularly when making comparisons.
The strap buttons on my RDs are factory installed at the base of the neck in almost the same postion as the bass being reviewed.
Also I take him to be possibly inferring RDs are neck through.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Misinformation About RDs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 03:04:29 AM »
That video makes you wonder how much Delgado paid him for this propaganda piece  ;)

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
He is also incorrect with respect the pin position on the recent Novoselic RD.
Apart from RDs, Ed obviously either hasn't checked the strap pin position on recent Gibson TBirds or has chosen to ignore it. One would think the recent TBirds or Novoselic RDS are the competition for the bass he is reviewing rather than vintage TBirds, given pricing- although the price of brand new T Birds is another discussion. It is not surprising that the mere mention of a Gibson bass in some places is guaranteed to bring forth a tirade of misinformation  with this sort of nonsense circulating.
My RDs and my 09 Bird behave exactly the same way on a strap as the Delgada in the clip. The RDs are very stable- their bodies would be significantly heavier than the Delgada, I would expect.
His misinformation is provided in a way that infers a significant advantage to the bass he is reviewing, which is simply not there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:40:03 PM by veebass »

TNF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
Yeah, that was kind of a load of crap.  I'm sure the Delgada is a nice bass, but his design improvement points were all confused.  It makes me think that he wasn't the one editing the video, and the person editing the video mixed up his discussion of the differences between the Delgada, the RD, and the T-Bird.  But then there's a few inaccuracies along the way as well even if the editing was botched. 

Oh well.  It's not gonna keep me from rocking out on my RD and T-Bird.  :)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:32:19 AM »
Are you really surprised when there are videos out there of people with RD Artists IN THEIR DAMN HANDS and they can't describe properly what all the knobs and switches are for?  Lazy ignorance really, when a quick search yields Jules' site flyguitars with more info than you can shake a stick at on the matter.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Are you really surprised when there are videos out there of people with RD Artists IN THEIR DAMN HANDS and they can't describe properly what all the knobs and switches are for?  Lazy ignorance really, when a quick search yields Jules' site flyguitars with more info than you can shake a stick at on the matter.

Well yeah but Jules REALLY CARES! :thumbsup:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
The wiring on mine's much simpler... admittedly, at present, there isn't any... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
To be fair, Ed only bought a Gibson for the first time last year - he bought a fretted Ripper, and liked it so much that he bought a fretless as well.  He's quite late to the Gibson party, so he's not as geeked about Gibsons as we are.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:33 AM »
The Gibs Klax Klan rides again!  :mrgreen: My gosh, are you guys harsh on poor Ed!

I'm grateful he mentioned the RD as an inspiration at all. Sound of the tested bass come mostly from the Genz Benz amp though. That is how these things sound with most any bass: snarly and gnarly.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...