Author Topic: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview  (Read 10998 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
I'm Team Uwe this time. I love Woody and Plonk, together and apart.

It does surprise me that a pünktliches, gründliches German - especially a lawyer - loves sloppiness.
Yeah but he HAS been to Memphis.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
I've even been IN Elvis' house! Which is not the huge mansion you might believe it to be. Any self-respecting investment banker would want something larger.

"Like Jimmy Blackmore?"

:mrgreen:

If I think real hard about it, I'm probably Dave's nemesis on this: I think accuracy is more important with a guitarist than a bassist, mainly because you hear the former's mistakes more!  :mrgreen: Page's solos to me are all over the place, some good ideas, some noodling, some background noise & some quite a few mistakes.  :) His solos are more landscapes within the overall Zep sound - not virtuoso outings as with Blackmore. When Blackmore played a solo with Purple, you listened up - regardless of the melée going on behind it.

When it comes to chordal structures, alternative tunings etc though, Page can run circles around Blackmore who was happy to thump his E string if that was all it took.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:57:36 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
Gene Simmons calls Ron Wood his favorite bassist (stemming back from the Jeff Beck Group work), so there!

And Hard Luck Woman always tried to ape the Maggie May bass line - more accurately played of course!

But why did Peter Criss continuously bob and twitch his head like an extra from the Muppet Show while singing?

A+ for Ace's and Paul's idiosyncratic understanding of what a doubleneck-guitar is for.  At 2:50, Indian deity Shiva, no less, plays four-handed guitar(s) for Kiss, who'd have thought.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:19:05 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
Gene Simmons calls Ron Wood his favorite bassist (stemming back from the Jeff Beck Group work), so there!

If my contrary opinion hadn't already been formed years ago, Gene's opinion would have solidified it.  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 04:36:17 AM »

And Hard Luck Woman always tried to ape the Maggie May bass line
Not just the bass line! Rod should have sued them.

But why did Peter Criss continuously bob and twitch his head like an extra from the Muppet Show?
Isn't that what cats do?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:19:23 PM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 06:38:15 AM »

A+ for Ace's and Paul's idiosyncratic understanding of what a doubleneck-guitar is for.  At 2:50, Indian deity Shiva, no less, plays four-handed guitar(s) for Kiss, who'd have thought.  :mrgreen:

What the hell is that? Shouldn't they have each had 12strings and girls of their own to do that with instead of each other?  :gay:

As much as I love Gene's bass playing, Ron's is on another level. Sloppy or not at least it's melodic where Gene pretty much just gives you meat and potatoes. Maggie was a huge hit and still on the radio in part to Mr. Wood's contribution on bass. I am a huge fan of his other work with Beck too. I'd pay through the nose to see a show with Ronnie on bass again backing up Jeff and Rod. 
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
This bass line for example is fantastic. Perhaps a tad sloppy but wonderfully quirky and intricate in it's melodiousness as well.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »

Haha! I remember seeing that when I was 13 and thinking "Um... is that really necessary?"   :gay: ;D

Peter was always my favorite singer in KISS. Usually chewing gum (and bopping his head) as he does.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »
I've even been IN Elvis' house! Which is not the huge mansion you might believe it to be. Any self-respecting investment banker would want something larger.

"Like Jimmy Blackmore?"

:mrgreen:

If I think real hard about it, I'm probably Dave's nemesis on this: I think accuracy is more important with a guitarist than a bassist, mainly because you hear the former's mistakes more!  :mrgreen: Page's solos to me are all over the place, some good ideas, some noodling, some background noise & some quite a few mistakes.  :) His solos are more landscapes within the overall Zep sound - not virtuoso outings as with Blackmore. When Blackmore played a solo with Purple, you listened up - regardless of the melée going on behind it.

When it comes to chordal structures, alternative tunings etc though, Page can run circles around Blackmore who was happy to thump his E string if that was all it took.

Page = Interesting, I like him as a rhythm player much better than as a soloist.

Blackmore, Really like him as a soloist, a style all his own, as a rhythm player he's good, not great - still interesting in style. 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »
I like a lot of sloppy guitarists.
I think Page's lead ideas are often quite interesting, and his sloppy execution doesn't bother me.
He's certainly nothing like, say, Jeff Beck, who of the big-name classic English players is so smoothly executed it seems to have sprung wholly formed out of his instrument almost like it's an angelic voice with no clunky human hands involved.  A great player no doubt, but very, very different.

I also love the playing of D. Boon, an adventurous wild man on the guitar.
His life tragically ended in a van crash at age 27, and thus ended the Minutemen with him.
He was one of those over-eager young players who often played at (or slightly beyond) his physical limitations.  He definitely went overboard at times, though most Minutemen songs were so short you didn't have time to get tired of the guitar solo before it was over :D
He didn't make it sound easy, rather he made it sound like he could barely keep up with what he wanted to play, but it was a distinctive voice and I love it, warts and all.  I wish he had had a chance to mellow with age, but I'm glad we got what we did of him.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 10:05:05 PM »
I can like sloppy guitarists too, if it suits the music - like Angus Young or maybe Mick Ronson, they might loose a note or two in combat but they fight on and win the war anyway.

Some sloppiness, like sloppy stoned or sloppy don't really know how to play the  guitar - like Neil Young, is not my cup of tea.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
How did we get here?  Mark and I said we didn't like the bass on Maggie May.  Did either of us say we hated every bit of Ron Wood's work? No, nothing of the sort. Trying to beat us over the head with his other work is pointless. You can post 50 more videos and it won't change my opinion of Maggie May. Please stop.

I still agree with Suzi's advice.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
Are we trying to return to topic here, Dave?

Not after all these years please.

Besides, we were discussing Blackmore too, so it was actually very much on topic as far as I am concerned.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:36:56 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
Haha! I remember seeing that when I was 13 and thinking "Um... is that really necessary?"   :gay: ;D

Starchild always toyed a little with a more exotic lifestyle image - careful to not unsettle the core audience too much though.

Peter was always my favorite singer in KISS. Usually chewing gum (and bopping his head) as he does.

He was probably the best natural singer with Kiss - Gene and Ace don't really have voices to write home about and Paul's vocal affectations are often just too much cherry (lips) pie for me.

The Catman was possible the most un-hard-rock and certainly un-heavy-metal drummer on earth, but his Ringo Starr/Charlie Watts drumming sure know had something ... That hi-hat hit at 0:31/32 is - for lack of better words - sheer bloody art.  :rimshot:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:23:20 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
Not just the bass line! Rod should have sued them.

Herr Eisen (who wrote the song) even offered it to him. Considering some of the stuff Roddie released in the netherworld of the late seventies and throughout the 80ies, he was ill-advised not to take it. This was Rod's nadir I thought:

This was horrible too ...

Amazing that Sting's, Adams' and Stewart's worst piece of work is one and the same song. Crap movie too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:24:44 PM by uwe »