Author Topic: My BaCH Thunderbird  (Read 4988 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: My BaCH Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
Sooooo, what's your favorite railroad? I've always been fond of Great Northern myself.

Ahhhh. Now you'd think that I'd be an avid GN guy, Seattle being the western terminus and all, but no I'm devoutly in the Denver and Rio Grande Western camp. I model Utah in the early '70s, I custom paint and weather most of my models these are some I shot in early '09, I'm gearing up to do a bit more this Spring.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »
The 'Bird looks great Mark.  I'm still in the process of installing reissue reverse Kluson type tuners on mine and waiting on the pickguard from Scott.  I decided to keep the Artek and wire it for push/pull.  I'm going to have to notch the saddles as well on mine. 

Those trains look great.  I'm trying to complete a 1/700 scale model of my Dads old ship USS Saratoga CV3.  I hope to get it looking 1/8th as good as your trains do!

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:53 PM »
Nice bird and nice job detailing the trains...good photography also! I model endurance racing sports cars (static and and slot cars). In the 1980's I raced scratch-built radio control Formula I cars on outdoor simulations of the F1 circuits. I was Alan Jones/Williams Team. Have a ton of photos on film to digitize someday.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
Mark, I would be happy to stamp your guard, I sent you a pm about what is involved.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 06:00:02 AM »
The 'Bird looks great Mark.  I'm still in the process of installing reissue reverse Kluson type tuners on mine and waiting on the pickguard from Scott.  I decided to keep the Artek and wire it for push/pull.  I'm going to have to notch the saddles as well on mine. 

Those trains look great.  I'm trying to complete a 1/700 scale model of my Dads old ship USS Saratoga CV3.  I hope to get it looking 1/8th as good as your trains do!
PG goes out this AM !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
That came out great!  I love the PG material you chose.   8)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

"I'm trying to complete a 1/700 scale model of my Dads old ship USS Saratoga CV3.  I hope to get it looking 1/8th as good as your trains do!"

The Sara..........sister to the Lex! Coolest aircraft carriers ever!

Here's the Sara in in Puget Sound Sept. of '44 in her Pacific Fleet paint scheme.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
We played on the Lexington last year, cool gig.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
Serious modeling... excellent work...

My big project is a lit up AMT NCC1701D - lots of little holes to cut, and the fun of getting the power up to the nacelles... not high on the agenda at the moment though...  :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Those trains look great, Mark!

Hörnisse, how about these pics? My grandad was in the Navy around 1930 and when I was a kid gave me a nice little stack of photos of Navy vessels, including the Yorktown (pic now lost :-\), the Saratoga, Lexington, the battleships New York, Texas, West Virginia, Utah, Florida, Idaho as well as a bunch of cruisers. I also have  a big photo of one of his ships, the USS Wood.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
Great pics guys! (and gal   ;) )

My dad joined up in September 1942 right after his 16th birthday.  They have Saratoga annual reunions and the last one was in Branson, MO.  They try to go to as many as they can.  Dad is 83 and Mom will be 80 this March.  April will be their 62nd wedding anniversary.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »

Sad that we didn't preserve any pre-war aircraft carriers, Enterprise and Saratoga were both surviviors of the conflict but met their end at Bikini and the torch....shame :-\

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
The Bird is a true beauty Mark! 

And extra credit to you for finding a shower curtain to match your floor ;D

Love the model and ship pics as well.

Hornisse

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »

Sad that we didn't preserve any pre-war aircraft carriers, Enterprise and Saratoga were both surviviors of the conflict but met their end at Bikini and the torch....shame :-\

It was a shame!  Between 1946 and 1962 they set of around 1000 of these things.  They even exploded some in the upper atmosphere!  What were these guys smoking?  ???

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
Serious modeling... excellent work...

My big project is a lit up AMT NCC1701D - lots of little holes to cut, and the fun of getting the power up to the nacelles... not high on the agenda at the moment though...  :P

I want to see progress pics. I have an Enterprise D (I despise most of the post-Rick Berman era Starfleet ships, the "E" included)  that I built about 15 years ago that been dropped and stepped on (nephews and drunk friends) and rebuilt several times that I love dearly. I just painted the inside of the clear "glowing" nacelle and deflector dish and it looks really good except where the curing of the paint caused cracks on the inside of the "red" nacelle front. I used to be a hardcore model builder of military aircraft, but my best work got destroyed (again: nephews and irresponsible grandparents). I have a 33 gallon storage tub full of rare model kits. I guess if I live to retire, I'll get around to them.