Author Topic: Earthwood prototype?  (Read 3697 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Earthwood prototype?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »
You don't see many used Tacomas because not that many were ever sold new.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »

That really is a shame :sad: There are so few players that are into ABGs because so few players have ever had their hands on a decent one.
I don't want to trash a bunch of brands (which would be real easy), but when you walk in almost any place that handles ABGs you're going to find a bunch of stuff that sounds like crap and you're likely to give up.  They are a very different instrument and most of the companies that are making them just don't get what it takes.
Rick

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »

...and those that did sell frequently cracked because the bodies were made out of paper-thin solid wood. At least only the tops on Earthwoods tear themselves to shreds.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »
...and those that did sell frequently cracked because the bodies were made out of paper-thin solid wood. At least only the tops on Earthwoods tear themselves to shreds.

Hey kungfu ;D,
I was not aware of this issue with Tacomas :sad:.  The Olympia is plywood so hopefully it will dodge this problem. As I mentioned, the Olympia lacks the resonance of solid wood but it still sounds really good, projects well, and it was cheap. Tacomas/Olympias unusual design is the secret to their ability to project so well and deliver good tone. Earthwood and Guild used the more traditional design but that big body along with good wood is their secret to tone and projection. Just about every other ABG out there tries to use a smaller, more traditional design, but without the size they just don't cut it.  If it weren't for Earthwood and Tacoma I don't think I would even own an ABG.

You are about the only other Earthwood owner I know, so I've got a question for you. What other ABGs (if any) do you like?
Rick

nofi

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
those big money taylors have the sound hole on the wrong side. it should be on the bass side to bring out the fundamental lows. god knows these things dont need anymore treble. my 2 cents anyway.

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 12:56:43 AM »
Hey, rahock
Your Olympia probably won't be as acoustically loud as a Tacoma, but every Olympia I've played is relatively rock-solid. If that's your 'gig acoustic bass guitar' it should perform wonderfully.
Obviously I like the Earthwood a lot and the Guild B-30/B-50 runs a close second.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »
Gee whiz, I'm all excited having two  REAL ABG guys to talk to at the same time ;D

Yeah there aren't many good ones to choose from. The people who design them just don't get it.
A few years back I took my Earthwood in to a place that handles a lot of Taylors and there were a couple of Taylor techs  on hand, who had never seen an Earthwood and were dying to get their hands on one.
They were both guitar players and when they picked up my Earthwood they played it very soft, like a guitar. They both commented on how they thought it had nice tone but they thought it would have much more volume. They told me the action was way too high and they could set it up "the right way".
I explained to them that the volume was there they just weren't getting to it , and that the action was high so you could use your right hand to get at the volume. They handed it back to me to give them a demonstration and then the lights went on for them when they saw me digging in with the right hand. They were suprised at the volume I was able to get and they tried it again themselves using a more agressive right hand (which they were not at all comfortable with). But they got the point, and although they weren't yet comfortable with playing that way, they thought the Earthwood was pretty special , the action was perfect and they admitted that Taylor missed the boat on their atttempt at building the best ABG ever. And yes indeed they questioned what the reasoning was on Taylors decision to put the sound hole where they did.
I have never played or even seen a Taylor so I can't get too critical but here is an example of a very fine Acoustic builder ,and Martin is another one, who makes a very expensive and nice sounding ABG with absolutely no consideration to how it projects ???. WTF good is an expensive acoustic instrument if you can't hear it. If you have to amplify it to get it to be heard over a guitar or two , then you can sure as hell spend a whole lot less on the instrument and make up for it with the same amplification.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
I wish I could find a site I once bookmarked, it was about an ABG with some kind of nylon or other synthetic strings and about a 27" scale. It was made somewhere in Scandinavia.

It was claimed that this one had much improved acoustic volume and fundamental, reason being that the bridge was much nearer the soundhole and the vibrations transmitted to the top were much improved.

The strings had something to do with it too. Steel or bronze strings probably wouldn't divide in a true overtone series on that short a scale length.

nofi

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
again speaking of the taylor ab2 and the near total lack of unplugged volume. steve klein who designed it was out voted by taylor over the bracing. klein wanted light and flexible and taylor heavy and durable. to this end klein will modify the bracing in your talyor to solve that volume issue. what the hey it's only a 5,000 bass. :P he will also "voice the bracing" of any abg you want.

btw the earthwood bass sold for 4,550.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:42:15 PM by nofi »

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Four times what mine cost. PT Barnum was right.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »
As a die hard Guild jumbo fan (I've had a late 70's F50 for 24 years), I'd love to hear more about their ABG. Anyone here ever played one?

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »
Yep. A long time ago, but I've played a B30. What do you want to know?

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 06:13:59 AM »
Four times what mine cost. PT Barnum was right.

Mine was $300 back in 1972 ;D
I had the pleasure of playing a big ole Guild many years ago too. Very nice ;D
Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
My ABG is a cheap Indonesian made Brunswick which has an Artec pickup /pre system in it.  US$285 new. Sounds great, feels great even though its a 32" neck. Just feels right. I can throw it in the car and go to parties or on holiday and I dont mind if it gets a few knocks and dents. Very happy with it.

Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »
My ABG is a cheap Indonesian made Brunswick...

Something like that might be nice to get until I can afford a Guild. As for questions on the Guild, I just wonder if, as an ABG, it's comparable in sheer volume and beauty of sound that the F50 has. If so, I want one even more...