Author Topic: Thunderbird IV Bass Limited  (Read 4331 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Thunderbird IV Bass Limited
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
So what exactly is limited about this thing that makes the list price go up $600? The COLOR?  :-\

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Thunderbird-IV-Bass-Limited.aspx

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird IV Bass Limited
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »
Yep!  And they don't even have any.  In fact, they don't have half of the basses in their online catalog in stock or available in the foreseen future.  Some of the basses were limited runs and I think they did them and are finished.  So, logic would have it they take them out of the catalog, no? 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
  yep nuts ain't it ? They could at least put chrome on it :rolleyes: Still didn't stop me from buying one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:16:35 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »
  yep the color nuts ain't it ? They could at least put chrome on it :rolleyes: Still didn't stop me from buying one.

I agree.  I would have one if Gibson were on the ball.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »
I think they've had a few issues to deal with of late.   :mrgreen:
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »

Smuggling fingerboard wood is apparently much easier than just giving their bass customers what they want.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:52:02 AM »
Smuggling fingerboard wood is apparently much easier than just giving their bass customers what they want.

For sure!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »

Yes, ineed!  Notice that the fingerboard on this beastie is "baked maple"  Err, right - certainly harder to come by over kilned maple than rosewood.....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
Maybe they need to buy a license to use Hagstrom's ‘Resinator’ material, a wood/resin composite that is intended to be very uniform, removing inconsistencies such as dead spots from the equation.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
I'm not sure of the reason behind Gibson's use of baked maple. We know Gibson had their Indian rosewood and ebony confiscated, but it's not as if there aren't other fretboard woods besides maple. I've seen claims that baking or roasting maple stabilizes the wood. If that's true and not just hype, that could be a factor for Gibson, or maybe they just want to make it look darker, closer to the look of rosewood.

Maybe they need to buy a license to use Hagstrom's ‘Resinator’ material, a wood/resin composite that is intended to be very uniform, removing inconsistencies such as dead spots from the equation.

Maybe hell will freeze over first.  ;D  They do have to consider their target guitar market, any composite would probably not be considered.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:30 AM »

I met a guy yesterday who is a a guitar narc, dealing with counterfeit guitars coming out of China. Sounds like they are getting so efficient at making Gibson copies, you might have a much better chance of getting one from them. The vintage guitars are getting so real looking, they were able to fool the Burst Brothers at Hollywood Vintage. I got a kick out of his story about him being in a meeting with the Ibanez CEO, trying to curb the counterfeiting of Ibanez guitars. He made a comment about Ibanez counterfeiting Gibson in the '70s, the CEO didn't want to talk about that at all...................
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 06:12:56 AM »
My '76 Ibanez Destroyer  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
...Ibanez counterfeiting Gibson in the '70s, the CEO didn't want to talk about that at all...................

A counterfeit is a fake sold as the real thing.  I don't think Ibanez ever did that. AFAIK they always put their name on their copies.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
 Correct Ibanez did brand their products Ibanez. Still didn't stop them from being cut up the docks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Ibanez settled out of court with Gibson. IIRC it was Fernandez whose guitars were seized and their necks sawn in half at the docks, thanks to CBS/Fender, all because of the headstock shape.