Author Topic: Any CCR fans?  (Read 986 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Any CCR fans?
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
I have a gig with a CCR tribute band coming up, and I was just curious as to what kind of bass Stu cook used.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Any CCR fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
I have a gig with a CCR tribute band coming up, and I was just curious as to what kind of bass Stu cook used.

Probably a Precision.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
Search "stu cook bass" and you shall find....

"The first instrument I played was a P-Bass, but I believe we rented it. The first bass I remember owning was a Rickenbacher 4001 which I still have. I played that through Creedence's second album. Then I went to a Jazz Bass for a while, a Gibson EB-3, then back to a P-Bass. I took the bass pickup off the Rick and put it on the P-Bass up at the neck, I like that really deep tone. I like to feel it more, the overall tone is more important than being able to actually hear each note precisely. I think the bass should fill a space as well as play a particular note."

http://riverising.tripod.com/stu/bassplayer.htm

Here's a quote that's a pleasure for me to read:

Stu's states his overall philosophy of bass as, "If you come up with the right stuff, less is more. To me that's the first thing, what will make it work with the most economy? For me, a guy like Duck Dunn combines the elements of note choice and rhythm choice better than anyone." While he does admit to being impressed with the technical developments of modern bass playing, Stu notes, "I'm seeing these guys with incredible chops, but I wonder what they're going to do with that, you can't solo all the time. I refer to myself as a pick and shovel bassist, I'm down in the trenches."

And here are some purty pitchers of them basses:

http://www.rockstarsguitars.com/product.php?c=1&cat=117&scat=225
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
Search "stu cook bass" and you shall find....

I thought about that, but it's much more entertaining to ask you guys.  ;D

I did pull up a couple of Youtube clips and it was all P-Bass. Interesting what he did with the Ric pickup. I always miss that "boom" when I play my other basses (except the JS II which is nothing BUT boom...)

I think I'm going to use the BaCHbird since that's the only one I have a flight case for. Gig is in Philly...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
CCR is anuzza Classic Rock band I saw back when I was in high school...a sophomore to be exact.
Trippin' on Orange Sunshine, there were rainbow sparkles all over the stage!
Great show!
The most popular guy in school--Walter Metz--was a drummer & would cruise EVERYBODY all over hell in his Ford Econoline van.
So of course I'm now a drummer with an Econoline van still hoping to become popular.
Green River was what I remember best while cruisin' with Walt...again trippin' on acid!
I MEGADOSED with my schoolm8s hundreds of times. :D

Does that help? hahaa haaaaaaaaa

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
it doesn't help but explains alot. :mrgreen:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 07:28:23 AM »
I saw John Fogerty on the Premonition and Long road home tours and have tickets to the Stu Cook / Cosmo (Creedence Clearwater Revisited) show here next month. Cant wait to see these 2 guys play together. What a great rhythm section.
Digresion our specialty!