Author Topic: AMPEG upright... on the 'bay  (Read 2158 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: AMPEG upright... on the 'bay
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
that will sell for sure.  everybody holds on to them.  I've always been intrigued by the "baby bass"   and i love my scrolls but have no reason....   Mystery pickups are "different"    I have a 65 AEB and AUB with it and they are fun to have but really linited.   I already have a paladino,  and 2 other obscure stick type things that sit at home .  My new Johnson will get whatever double bass sound i need to  have...  But i would still like to have it....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
I love the sound!

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
I love the thought of getting one. Bass emporium here in Austin has a similar one custom made in Puerto Rico, in a road case. Very tempting.....
Fleet Guitars

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
Sold for $2015. I'm surprised it didn't go higher considering how seldom you see these.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
YEAH! AWESOMEOLA
Who scored it? Someone here?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
I've played a couple of Baby Basses and their primary selling point is also their greatest handicap, IMO. They're "small" scale electric basses that were marketed to play like an upright, but be more portable. They don't, not even close. They DO have a unique sound that really works great for latin music, but if you ever get used to playing a doghouse bass, a Baby Bass will frustrate the life out of you trying to get the same dynamics and feel.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:48:47 AM »
I've played a couple of Baby Basses and their primary selling point is also their greatest handicap, IMO. They're "small" scale electric basses that were marketed to play like an upright, but be more portable. They don't, not even close. They DO have a unique sound that really works great for latin music, but if you ever get used to playing a doghouse bass, a Baby Bass will frustrate the life out of you trying to get the same dynamics and feel.

I'm not an upright player, so my opinion on this doesn't mean a whole lot, but I definately agree. I played around with one of these thing a bit several years ago and I was so completely out of my element I couldn't get anything together ???.
They are a very unique piece and they sound great but they are in their own little world. Very unlike an upright, very unlike an electric bass guitar and very unlike an ABG.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »

I agree. They wouldn't satisfy an upright player's needs, and they don't appeal to most electric bassists.