Author Topic: R.I.P. Peter Steele  (Read 4251 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
R.I.P. Peter Steele
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »
He's really dead this time. Bummer. I'm glad I got to see them last October and meet him briefly after the show.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138519

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Peter Steele
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
Another coke victim?  :-\

I always liked their Goth Metal. Kind of late Depeche Mode mate with Black Sabbath.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
Pete had issues. I think it was probably too late by the time he got them sorted out, if he really did at all. When I saw them in October, he had put on a lot of weight, and had bottles of water instead of wine on his amp rack, so I figured he was clean. Too bad.

I always saw them as the Cure meets Black Sabbath at a Sisters of Mercy house party.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
Yeah, that's a good comparison.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
Peter Steele will definitely be missed.  A pretty unique guy. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
His family had him involuntarily committed a few years ago and he never came to terms with it. One of my friends from Talkbass was close with him and said that Pete tried really hard to forgive them but his mother and sister weren't making it easy. I doubt the direct cause was drugs; my guess is that it was a culmination of years of hard living. The weight he had put on recently would be in keeping with retaining fluid from heart failure, which is the official cause of death. It really saddens me because Type O Negative was one of the few bands that I liked for years that didn't disappoint me with bad new material. I hope Pete has some peace now.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
It's always a shame when a light dims earlier than it should have... RIP
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
His family had him involuntarily committed a few years ago and he never came to terms with it. One of my friends from Talkbass was close with him and said that Pete tried really hard to forgive them but his mother and sister weren't making it easy. I doubt the direct cause was drugs; my guess is that it was a culmination of years of hard living. The weight he had put on recently would be in keeping with retaining fluid from heart failure, which is the official cause of death. It really saddens me because Type O Negative was one of the few bands that I liked for years that didn't disappoint me with bad new material. I hope Pete has some peace now.

Although I didn't know him very well, I had a guitarist friend who found himself in a similar situation.  I advised him to just get the hell out of town because based on what I was seeing his mother looked like she was going to have him committed.  He took my advice and left the state.  I had no idea Peter Steele was having to go through crap like that.  

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
It's on Youtube where Pete talks openly about what happened and that his therapy did help him, but it's also not hard to read between the lines and see that he also suspected that the commital was a ploy to try and gain control of his money.

Chaser001

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
Even if he actually did have issues with sanity--which I very seriously doubt--the way he was treated was inexcusable based on what I'm reading here. 

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Best song is the cover of Cinnamon Girl:

Unique voice indeed! Sad that he's gone already at just 48.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
My favorite Type-O Song, troublingly poignant: