Author Topic: GW basses - anybody hear of them?  (Read 1522 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
GW basses - anybody hear of them?
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
I've got someone trying to work a trade for one of my cars. A GW custom 5 string plus cash. I've never heard of them. Personally not my cup of tea, and I have no need for a 5 string, so I would sell the bass ASAP.

http://www.gwbasses.com/index.shtml

Thoughts?

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: GW basses - anybody hear of them?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
I've never played one but I've seen their ads in the back of BassPlayer.  I noticed this page on the website  http://www.gwbasses.com/customshop/ric_restore_hotrod.shtml and remembered a post on TB about it  http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371535
they a little too fancy for me but they're probably nice basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Wow. Ugly as homemade sin. And some buckeye burl tops to boot.  :puke:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
I used to think that I was alone in my disdain of wood knobs and pickups covers.  Give me cold steel and chrome any day.   ;D
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »
I too have a distaste for wooden pick up covers and wooden knobs.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:16:03 AM »
I like the look of wood but they got a bit carried away here. Back in the 60s some guy came out with an all wooden kit car body for a VW chassis. That was considerably more ridiculous, but this bass gives me a similar reaction.
Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »
Wow. Ugly as homemade sin. And some buckeye burl tops to boot.  :puke:

Perfectly stated Dave! I always thought those burl wood tops looked like someone puked on top of the bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:35:29 AM »
Somewhere in te 80s a compmany launched the Africar. A wooden car whis would be easy to fix when broken, specially for Africa. Like substitute for those old and simple Land Rovers.

And Morgan and Marcos used/use wooden chassis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africar

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
What kind of bass this is doesn't matter.  It's an object with value, which is all that matters. When I sold cars for a living, I once traded for a rifle.  This kind of deal is easy enough...here's what you do:

- Go to a music shop and take full information about the bass to them.  Perferably, take the bass to them so they can inspect it.
- Get a firm quote on what they will buy it for.  They will give you a wholesale quote that's about 50% of retail.  If you cannot get the actual bass for them to inspect, reduce that quote by $50-$100.
- Offer the car buyer the resulting amount against your car. (Note addendum below)
- If he takes it, make the deal, go straight to the music shop and sell it to them.

Here's how you keep from insulting the buyer...you have an asking price for the car, right? And you have a separate, lower price that you're willing to accept, right?  So you take the wholesale quote from the music store, add the amount you're willing to reduce the car's price, and offer that amount to the bass owner.

Example:

Let's say the car is advertised at $1000 and you're willing to take $900.  You have $100 to play with. If the bass will sell for $1200, then let's say the music store's offer (wholesale) is $600.  You offer the bass owner $600 + $100 = $700 for his bass.

That's how trade-ins work, and it's done thousands of times  every day.  It doesn't matter what you're trading.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."