Author Topic: Nylon Metal - Burn!  (Read 2506 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Nylon Metal - Burn!
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
Thomas Zwijsen records his records at the studio of a friends of ours. Thomas studied classical guitar at the Artez conservatoire in Arnhem and Latin/jazz/Brazilian guitar at Codarts in Rotterdam. In combination with his interest in flamenco and metal, this strongly influenced his style of guitar playing.
Thomas’ first solo album Nylon Maiden contains 11 arrangements of Iron Maiden songs. Former Iron Maiden singer Blaze Bayley is featured as a special guest on The Clansman.

Now he's recorded some non-Iron Maiden songs.
Like this one, that will no doubt be watched by Uwe with suspicion  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Nylon Metal - Burn!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
Hey, I like it! Appreciation, not suspicion. Best non-DP version I have ever heard. Also like the way they slooooooow down the chorus. In that arrangement the riff sounds even Celtic (and Ritchie, for all his love of continental folk music, disdains Celtic music, "because the melody lines are always the same").

The origins of the Burn riff were rather non-Celtic indeed. Ritchie wasn't aware of it, but classically trained Jon Lord immediately caught him out when they first rehearsed it at Clearwell Castle. "Oh, that's Gershwin's Fascinating Rhythm you're playing!".

I don't have issues with Deep Purple interpretations, the more radical a departure from the original, the better.

(I know, Rolf Harris fell from grace hard, but the arrangement is still good.)

It's only when bands "ape" the Purple sound and the Purple arrangements that it quickly becomes pedestrian.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:53:35 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
Nice but no cleavage,you can’t have everything can you ?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
Nice but no cleavage,you can’t have everything can you ?

You expect Rolf Harris to have cleavage?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
He's been away from here a long time. WHO KNOWS what happened.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
Pat Boone had a throw at them too...

Christine

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
You expect Rolf Harris to have cleavage?

Well by the time they finish with him in prison he probably will have one, possibly not where you hoped though. The story is when he dies they will bury him backside up in the prison car park so the governor has somewhere to park his bike. A fitting epitaph! :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
I believe he's been released before serving his full sentence due to old age/health issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/rolf-harris-released-prison-after-almost-three-years

And new allegations against him came to nothing, he was acquitted on those (which doesn't diminish deeds he was found guilty for in the past).

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
I believe he's been released before serving his full sentence due to old age/health issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/rolf-harris-released-prison-after-almost-three-years

And new allegations against him came to nothing, he was acquitted on those (which doesn't diminish deeds he was found guilty for in the past).

That's some kind of moustache that he's sporting!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 03:52:26 AM »
A bit like the negative of the one largely identified with a past German statesman of - I hasten to add - Austrian descent.

And Ron Mael of course.

Christine

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »
A bit like the negative of the one largely identified with a past German statesman of - I hasten to add - Austrian descent.

And Ron Mael of course.

John Lennon was reported to have been watching Top of the Pops (or similar) when This town was played and he exclaimed " Look it's Adolf Hitler on the telly!" Great song, we do a cover of it. The rest is forgotten  :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
Alas!, finally someone here who shows some appreciation for the Sparks, I was waiting for that!

They are still a witty to acerbic bunch with their output today, lyrically and musically.

Ron's 'tache has gained in width what it has lost in height over the years (for quite some time now); the Hitler comparisons were getting a bit much for a Californian with (agnostic) Jewish parents who patterned himself initially after Charlie Chaplin.

This is a 2017 song, but very much (consciously so - everything with the Sparks is conscious -, almost a pastiche) in the 70ies style that made them famous (in Europe!). Hilarious lyrics!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:05:15 AM by uwe »

Christine

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »
You're a Sparks fan I take it? I love them, more in my younger days than now but we play "This town" to finish every gig

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
Yes, mainly because it enhances my pittance of a non-stadium rock credibility here and to counter my "he only listens to Deep Purple, Status Quo and Judas Priest and doesn't like Led Zep"-image.

While I never reached musical adulthood and still like everything I liked as a 15-year-old (with additions as the decades went by), I also have a penchant for quirky and artsy English pop rock such as Be Bop Deluxe, Bowie, Doctors of Madness, Roxy Music or Sparks (honorary mention though they are Yanks). And from the other side of the pond bands such as BÖC, The Dictators, The Ramones, The Cars and The New York Dolls - I guess you could call all five of them "urban rock", with four of them even from NYC.

Guilty pleasure: Cringeworthy AOR in major keys!  :gay:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:28:23 PM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
Strange kind of Women