Author Topic: they finally done it!  (Read 2455 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
they finally done it!
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
i have been bugging Warmoth for almost 5 years to make short scale bass parts and have always hit a wall with my efforts.

now they do it!

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Bass=1&Shape=85&Path=JSeries,Necks,30Warhead&Body=1

i guess it is a start even though everything looks Fenderish.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: they finally done it!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
Dang!  No Tele body to fit the short scale necks...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
There's one big unanswered question here: neck end dimensions. They say it's not compatible with their regular 34" scale bodies but it's not clear why. Is it an issue of pickup and bridge placement, or is it a matter of neck pocket dimensions? Or both?

Short scale Fender basses have Strat-width neck pockets (2 3/16") although the tongue area may be longer than on the guitars. Long scale Fenders have 2 1/2" wide pockets. If these necks have Strat-width pockets then you could probably use a number of different guitar bodies and not just Warmoth's J version.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
Very cool!  A bit pricey, but definitely well executed.  Neck pocket shouldn't be a problem if you can do pockets yourself.  You would think they'd retool the more popular bass bodies to accommodate the new necks.  How hard can it be with a CNC machine?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
How hard can it be with a CNC machine?

that is exactly the reason they have refused to talk to me about cutom orders like 30 inch bass parts in the past. "it isn't in the programming" or always something to that effect. now they should not have any excuses to not do say a "SG" short scale body or neck with an angled "LP" head.

it is interesting of past note that a baritone neck would fit a "guitar" body pocket, however they refused to cut off a 34" bass fretboard and glue it on prior to this to make a 30.291" scale bass with a 28" scale baritone neck blank. they did offer to make a fretless baritone neck with absolutely no markers though. i have to mention that in all fairness.

now to just get them to offer set neck options!!!  ;D ;D or perhaps offer a Mahogany bass neck???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:31:06 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »
Very cool!  A bit pricey, but definitely well executed.  Neck pocket shouldn't be a problem if you can do pockets yourself. 

True, but the whole point of Warmoth's existence is being able to offer precut necks and bodies that can be interchanged with existing necks or bodies. I suspect most of their prospective customers don't want to cut their own neck pockets. And even if they do, will they buy completed necks for their own bodies without knowing the dimensions other than it won't fit standard 34" bodies? I don't think so. I sure wouldn't.

You would think they'd retool the more popular bass bodies to accommodate the new necks.  How hard can it be with a CNC machine?

Warmoth hasn't been near as responsive as other companies. Their excuse has always been that it's too expensive to justify the low demand. Guess they finally decided there is a demand. I don't think they've gone about it very well.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »

............................Warmoth hasn't been near as responsive as other companies. Their excuse has always been that it's too expensive to justify the low demand. Guess they finally decided there is a demand. I don't think they've gone about it very well.

Perhaps the competition has kicked them in the butt one time too many?  Times are tough and for most of us basses are hobbies or a part time business and lets face it - groceries come first.  So perhaps Warmoth has decided to adapt in order to capitalize on a new market.

I'll also agree that selling a neck with nothing to put it in is a marketing faux paux - like selling shoe laces before shoes have been invented ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »

I'll also agree that selling a neck with nothing to put it in is a marketing faux paux - like selling shoe laces before shoes have been invented ;)

They do have J-style bodies for the necks but nothing else. These are not the same as their "regular" J bodies and they don't say why.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »
You can buy a complete SX bass from Rondo Music, long, short or medium scale for $110 plus shipping.  Scott has had good things to say about SX and I've had nothing but excellent results with them.  Might be something to consider.

Warmoth necks are very nice but heavy, not to mention expensive especially after you add nut and finish.  Seems like they should be offering a 2+2 and/or a paddlehead in addition to their generic looking headstock.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2jrmnwt.html

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »
i just got off the phone with a salesman who i will not identify but suffice to tell you that i have spoken with this particular salesman before at Warmoth. what he had to say is interesting.

1) the first question i pinned on him was about any further body styles that Warmoth could be offering. his reply was that the whole design is from Japanese programming that was adapted to Warmoth's machines and no other body styles are anticipated at this time. he did say that could also change and he would forward this thread onto the movers and shakers in the company.

2) the second question i asked was if they would be offering any other styles of necks other than the presently offered "Warhead" design, such as angled headstocks. the first thing he told me was that Warmoth is offering many body styles in thier present guitar and long scale bass designs that could be readily adaptable to this programming but there are no plans at present for anything resembling a Gibson design such as an SG or LP type head. he did agree the most often imitated design was in fact probably a Fender "P" and a Gibson EBO.

sounded just like the first answer.

You can buy a complete SX bass from Rondo Music, long, short or medium scale for $110 plus shipping.  Scott has had good things to say about SX and I've had nothing but excellent results with them.  Might be something to consider.

Warmoth necks are very nice but heavy, not to mention expensive especially after you add nut and finish.  Seems like they should be offering a 2+2 and/or a paddlehead in addition to their generic looking headstock.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2jrmnwt.html

par excellence point DADAGOBOI.

i'm for giving them time to see how the market fairs for short scale basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
i'm for giving them time to see how the market fairs for short scale basses.

Well, customers will have to be satisfied with whatever they offer, but based on his answers, I don't hold out much hope for its success. Not at those prices and with those limited options. Almost seems like they're doing it begrudgingly and setting it up to fail so they can say "told you so."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:35:24 PM »
Well, customers will have to be satisfied with whatever they offer, but based on his answers, I don't hold out much hope for its success. Not at those prices and with those limited options. Almost seems like they're doing it begrudgingly and setting it up to fail so they can say "told you so."

true enough but keep in mind there is no excuse in business for a "noble" failure.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »

I love to argue with Dave  ;D, but I think he's correct here.  The prices are just a bit much for such a limited-use product.  The sad thing is I can build a neck for $50 or less using premium wood and truss rod.  In fact, prices like theirs drove me to try my hand at it.  Now, I won't buy one unless I have to.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
i think dave and i are setting on the fence facing the same way. we see a field of feed , i am calling it alfalfa and he is calling it clover. close enough.

i just hope this isn't a passing thing is all.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
i think dave and i are setting on the fence facing the same way. we see a field of feed , i am calling it alfalfa and he is calling it clover. close enough.

i just hope this isn't a passing thing is all.

It won't be a passing thing if they have bodies to put them on IMHO!