Author Topic: The rest of the projects.....: 8-string Precision and ChiSonic FenderBird  (Read 3159 times)

PeterB

• View Profile
Because there's no such thing as "too much projects", I thought you might be interested in the rest of the bass-projects currently under the radar....

A 8-string Precision with 2 P-pups...

I've always had some plans for an 8-string bass, but couldn't really think of what I wanted exactly. A year ago I already bought a Schaller 8-string bridge, and a month or 2 ago I saw this body on TB in the Classified-section. Nice color and 2 Precisions pickups seems to be a nice combination.....and a good start for an 8 string.  8)

Now I'm considering how I could work out the neck. Maybe a conversion of a P bass neck, but a start with a paddle head neck will be the best option, or even maybe use a 5-string neck. Will be continued.....

ChiSonic FenderBird

I bougth an Epi T-bird body for almost a give-away price, and with the parts I already have lying around, this would be a cool idea.

I also have an Epi T-bird neck, so that maybe also a nice choice. I don't like the black finish, so I'm think about some nice options for that.

It's always nice to have some long-term projects lying around, in case I'm getting bored... :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Keep 'm coming Peter!

Basshappi

• View Profile
Very cool.
Your best bet is the Warmoth 8-string neck they fit the standard Fender neck pocket. If you're not in a hurry, they turn up on e-bay from time to time.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
DAMNIT!

Now I need an 8 string.

For some reason I've had "She's Tight" stuck in my head all day, I don't think I'm man enough for a 12 but and 8 sounds like it's right up my alley.

Maybe I have a project for the rough cut Bich style body after all.
Bring on the Nubiles

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Peter, what happened to you? You're too good!! Wow!

PeterB

• View Profile
Tnx Chris. I'm a bit addicted to modding basses I guess, going a bit out of control  :mrgreen:

Your best bet is the Warmoth 8-string neck they fit the standard Fender neck pocket. If you're not in a hurry, they turn up on e-bay from time to time.

That might be a good choice, but I don't like the headstock. I want 4 normal basstuners with 4 guitar (or mandolin) tuners. So I guess it's going to be a bass with a paddle headstock, or a maple P neck of a Fender Mex '50-s, and change the headstock. I have to make up my mind about that.

Besides this projects, I have some other basses "under construction" for others at the moment:

A Sherwood Green Lotto:

Currently looking like this:

Has to end up like this:

A Precision with 2 Telebass-buckers (a remake of a Fender Japan Custom model):

Currently looking like this:

Has to end up like this:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Your Epi T'bird body... unusual original control set-up and larger than standard for a pot...?

Interesting projects...

The only way I see you getting 8 machines on that type of headstock would be by filling and fitting minis...? 5 top, 3 below, but the lower ones may need to be "banjo" style...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
I think that Epi body is from the Nikki Sixx model. It only has a kill switch IIRC.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

leftybass

• View Profile
I think that Epi body is from the Nikki Sixx model. It only has a kill switch IIRC.

And you can see the holes for the "opti-grab" behind the bridge area.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
(back in the corner with the dunce cap... :sad:)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PeterB

• View Profile
The only way I see you getting 8 machines on that type of headstock would be by filling and fitting minis...? 5 top, 3 below, but the lower ones may need to be "banjo" style...?

It might be an option to glue some wood on the headstock and with new caps on the front and back of it, I should have enough space.

Correct!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
hmm let us know which pickup position arrangement works best with those humbuckers please.
Louder bass!.

PeterB

• View Profile
I will! Within two weeks these basses are ready to go, and I'll be sure to test them very well before they leave my house  8)

PeterB

• View Profile
Update: both basses have left the building.  8)

Some nice pics of them:

The Sherwood Green Lotto

The Custom-P

How low can you go? The customer wanted his bass strung with Warwick Darklords: 085 - 105 - 135 - 175  8)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Wow great basses. I love the green color on the Double P bass. I was really surprised on how good heavy gauge strings sound. I drop tuned to low C. Strings stay taunt, sound great.