Author Topic: Davy Jones - The English Monkee  (Read 3758 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Davy Jones - The English Monkee
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
One of the highlights growing up in my early teens & before was The Monkees. Davy's voice was one of the best & by all accounts a really nice guy.

RIP little guy, you'll be missed.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - The English Monkee
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
It's a sad day. RIP Davy.

Interesting that we're not seeing nonstop news coverage. I guess you have to be a dead junkie for that to happen.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
RIP Davey. I've always liked the Monkees.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »

Interesting that we're not seeing nonstop news coverage. I guess you have to be a dead junkie for that to happen.

I was thinking that earlier today. Even with how long it's been since the Monkees were on my favorites list, Davy deserves a half mast flag in my yard waaaay before Whitney ever would have.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:45 PM »
I always enjoyed the Monkees. RIP Davy.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »
Several people I know have noted that the genuine sense of loss for Davy Jones has far outweighed the created spectacle with Whitney Houston croaking.  I don't know if he'll get a special magazine at the supermarket, but the Spotify and Itunes play been blasting away with Monkees stuff.

I had the pleasure of seeing the 80s reunion thing.  He was solid, and a good showman. I would pay good money to see Mickey Dolenz, though. He was a great singer and worked the house like a monster.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »
Of all the songs he sang, for some reason this one has been on my mind this evening. One of his solo releases.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
RIP Davy.  All of the Monkees were musically talented and hard workers.  Even though the group was manufactured the effort they put into it was genuine and, I believe, it shows in their music.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »
The Today Show did devote a whole four minutes to him, that's more than I expected but then I remembered that Al Roker had been invited on stage with them at one show on their reunion tour last year.

They showed three clips, and two of them were songs with Micky doing lead vocals. Go figure.

They spent more time covering burnout wastoid kleptomaniac Lindsey Lohan than they did on Davy Jones. Thank goodness for mute buttons.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:37 AM »
Maybe if he had lived a totally trashed out life entirely in the public eye, he would have garnered more coverage.  Guess he was just too normal for the media.  It goes to show how twisted celebrity worship is among the media and how they generally see drugs, addiction and abuse as norms in our society.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:32 AM »
 When did the Monkees hit was it '66? That would have made me seven years old, they sure made a impression and as a little kid I thought the TV show was super cool.  For me they were certainly over shadowed by "real" bands in the following years but as a kid they were hard to beat. They had a bunch of great hits and they sure provided a lot of enjoyment. RIP Davey.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:26 AM »
I loved the TV show!

RIP Davy.  All of the Monkees were musically talented and hard workers.  Even though the group was manufactured the effort they put into it was genuine and, I believe, it shows in their music.

Right on. They were a lot more talented that the manufactured crap passing for a lot of music today.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
i saw the monkeemobile at a car show. what a beast!

the original car from the show looked better because it didn't have that big, gold monkees graphic on the sides. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:00:38 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
Yeah, the Monkee car is at a lot of local car shows in the Detroit area too. I was told exactly how many there are a few years ago, but I forgot ???.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
I don't remember whether that car was based on the '66 or '67 GTO.  The dash looks like my '66.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."