Author Topic: Lemmy! Thunderbird!  (Read 2855 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
Re: Lemmy! Thunderbird!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:05:13 AM »
Wow, nice video! And what a great Motorhead song!

Lemmy and a Thunderbird is just a perfect rock'n roll combination if you ask me!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
I'm not sure about the vocal performance but his bass playing rocked!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
I don't think that with Motörhead Lemmy's vocals have ever sounded better. I saw him with Motörhead in 1978 (Eddie Clarke line up) opening for a then still fledgling Whitesnake - Lemmy couldn't sing back then and sure enough he couldn't sing when I saw him again in 1983 (Brian Robertson line up) with Thin Lizzy (John Sykes line up) and Whitesnake (Mel Galley line up) also on the bill. He had his melodic peak with Hawkwind's Silver Machine - mind you, his voice was buried in echo on that track too. 

Never mind, he's still an original. But even his bass playing was more melodic with Hawkwind too. If you listen to their early seventies live outing Space Ritual, Lemmy's tone is much less abrasive, his chording much more harmonic and daring and his (many) melodic lines very fluid - basically he solos throughout that live album in an almost Grateful Dead'ish, jammy way.

Uwe

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:43:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »
Coming from my proggy background, that is how I always thought of Lemmy, is with Hawkwind.

Blazer

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
I can recall reading an interview that Lemmy did for Bassplayer magazine back in 1994 where he talked about Thunderbirds and Rickenbackers, he said something about loving the narrow necks of both kinds of basses. But he struggled to reach the upper frets of his T-bird (which is evident in this clip, you can tell that the top frets are a bit too far away for him to reach) but he loved the growl the T-bird' pickups gave so he put one and one together and it resulted in him installing T-bird pickups in several of his Rickies.

I'd love to see his collection, he has some seriously cool one-off rickies.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
he has his mic. set up really high so he has to look up when he sings which makes him sound extra raspy.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES