Author Topic: It's pouring, it's pouring but this man will not be snoring...  (Read 3053 times)

Blazer

I hate summertime and in particullar the kind of summertime when it's over 90 degrees and humid, and that's exactly the case here. Yesterday I wanted to start work on new guitar bodies but it was so hot inside the shop that I nearly fainted because of the heat.

The whole week it has been a constant coming and going of extremely hot and humid weather and thunderstorms with very heavy downpoor. So when a day like today happens when it's so hot that the tarmac is soggy when you walk over it and it's so humid that you swear you'd sweat yourself completely empty, I know there's a thunderstorm coming. But this time that thunderstorm arrived late.

When I'm writing this down it's almost 3:30 in the morning and my apartment is still simmering from the heat and humidity and just when I was drifting to sleep a loud "CHARACATABABROOOM" awoke me fully.

So at the moment I hear the rain really slam into the roof tiles (my apartment is situated underneath a sloping roof) and the crashing thunder also doesn't really help. 

Oh well, at least they slowly drive the heat away.

I hate summertime.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: It's pouring, it's pouring but this man will not be snoring...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »
No air conditioning?

Max Soren

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »
I'll never complain about the summer no matter how hot it gets.  It's the winter I can't stand.  The cold is nothing but a form of pain.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
Sweating is much more appealing to me than shivering.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »
You'd love it in England. So far this year we've had 2 days I would describe as uncomfortably hot.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:37:38 AM »
I'll never complain about the summer no matter how hot it gets.  It's the winter I can't stand.  The cold is nothing but a form of pain.

+1

People always complain. It's either too hot, too cold, too wet or too dry.

I like the climate in Holland. Sometimes I hate winter, but if it's a shiny, freezing winter day... I just love that!  And the first sunny days in spring, just sheer magic! We even started topics about that here!!! My brother lives in Kuala Lumpur and it's always hot. So no first spring day. i don't envy him!

Blazer

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:12 AM »
No air conditioning?

Can you spare my cash needed to buy one?

And aside from that, they are noisy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 04:32:04 AM »
I don't mind winter, if there is light. I don't mind heat if it is dry and I don't have to wear a business suit. For some reason, I like rain and love storms. Rain is a breastfeeding of nature (to use a less than skillful metaphor) and I thinks it's cozy to be at home and dry while it is pouring and lightnings flash. I also like the tranquility after a heavy downpour - it#s a cleansing.

My preferred temperature is one where you would feel just a little cold if you sat down in a T-shirt doing nothing, but neither sweat nor freeze as you are moving around.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
I'm with Uwe - I love a good storm!  Living in Texas we can have some dramitic thunderstorms here in the summer.  I fondly recall staying with relatives, in my childhood, in the country and the sounds of huge thunderstorms when your under a "tin" (metal) roof.  Call me nuts ;)

And living in sub tropical Houston, heat index of 110 today, AC is a gift from God ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:43:42 AM by lightyear »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
103 (actual, not heat index) predicted for today here in the Guadalupe/Comal area. Humid but not as much as Houston. I plan on being inside in the AC most of the day.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »
In Chicago we have had the best spring/summer in a long time, if you dont live on a major river.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »
103 (actual, not heat index) predicted for today here in the Guadalupe/Comal area. Humid but not as much as Houston. I plan on being inside in the AC most of the day.

those are the days AC is made for!

as for storms, I like 'em as long as I'm not trying to sleep.  a front came through 5:00 am Saturday morning bringing ferocious thunderstorms and it woke me up.   couldn't get back to sleep and I was not happy about that.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:35 AM »
The official high in Houston yesterday was 101 - it was 110, I believe, in Dallas.  And to think that my folks didn't get AC, a window unit at that, until 1961 :o  Unbelievable!  You have to wonder why anyone would live here before AC?!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Can you spare my cash needed to buy one?

And aside from that, they are noisy.

I am amazed at how cheap window units have gotten - I saw that Lowes was selling a small 5000 BTU unit for less than $100.00! Five years ago they were closer to $150.00!  I think I could sell blood, plasma or whatever to scrape together enough cash to at least sleep cool.  Of couse our summers last about six months ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »
The official high in Houston yesterday was 101 - it was 110, I believe, in Dallas.  And to think that my folks didn't get AC, a window unit at that, until 1961 :o  Unbelievable!  You have to wonder why anyone would live here before AC?!

My folks didn't buy an AC until 1958 - a giant Friedrich room air conditioner big enough to cool the whole house. And they wouldn't have bought it except that the five other couples in their monthly bridge club told them they were going to be booted if they didn't get one! This was in Houston, too. At least we had an attic fan (now called a whole house fan). That helped make you feel cooler at night. My mom said that when she was growing up they would sleep out on their screened porch on the hottest nights.

I am amazed at how cheap window units have gotten - I saw that Lowes was selling a small 5000 BTU unit for less than $100.00! Five years ago they were closer to $150.00!  I think I could sell blood, plasma or whatever to scrape together enough cash to at least sleep cool.  Of couse our summers last about six months  ;D

Competition from China is the reason. The Friedrich plant in San Antonio shut down last November and moved to Monterey to try to keep competitive (they're still headquartered in SA), and that was the last US plant making window units. End of an era.