Author Topic: Hi- My First Post and A Question  (Read 5594 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Re: Hi- My First Post and A Question
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks for more kind welcomes.
Before I unsolder I just want to check my understanding.
I have had a look at the pickup and I cant see how to unsolder leads at the pickup end because of the epoxy- so I assume  Highlander means at the end where the wires attach either to the rotary or the treble pot. There are three wires- red goes to lug 8 on the Varitone, black to lug 5 and the orange to the treble pot- which one should I disconnect to test the pickup? Also I assume you mean I should select position 2 on the Varitone to isolate the pickup when testing? Sorry, for being thick- but I am with this stuff. I guess my aim is to try and find out which component is the problem at this stage. Thanks for the help thus far.

I have used the numbering in this diagram, which I note that the author acknowledges is wrong but seems to correspond with what I am seeing with respect the neck pickup leads.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=tA1R_kXL5YNEuM&tbnid=vOpvYBVCO5f8XM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.vintageguitarandbass.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F3253-Ripper-wiring-diagram&ei=YpI8VJf4ApXm8AWh94Ew&bvm=bv.77161500,d.dGc&psig=AFQjCNF5JvQ5QE5cO1yCqT42plJF_inoEQ&ust=1413341206072592

BTW- just replaced a bridge pickup in a Jazz just now, what a breeze compared to this.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:20 AM »

I have had a look at the pickup and I cant see how to unsolder leads at the pickup end because of the epoxy-

In general, one should not unsolder at the pickup end, too risky! Cut where they connect to the circuit, leaving some wire/insulation
to remember where it was connected. If the pickup reads open, there is a possibility something is wrong with the wire(s), although rare.

I can't open the link, and never repaired a ripper, but reading switches can be a challenge sometimes. Just be patient, document what you do and post a gut pic if you have one .

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 03:50:43 AM »
  Nice Gibsons! We have much in common! Love your Ibanez Flying V, just like Jim Lea of Slade, I have always wanted one! My first good solid body bass was a '76 Ibanez Destroyer, which I still have. I agree with Kenny check the pickups for resistance. I have had quite a few Rippers over the years all weak as kittens, I much prefer the Grabber. My much modded Destroyer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:33:05 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »
Nice Gibson collection!  Welcome!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:53 AM »
Cue Monty Python voice......"Look at the Gibsons on that one!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »

"Camelot is such a silly place"
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
  Nice Gibsons! We have much in common! Love your Ibanez Flying V, just like Jim Lea of Slade, I have always wanted one! My first good solid body bass was a '76 Ibanez Destroyer, which I still have. I agree with Kenny check the pickups for resistance. I have had quite a few Rippers over the years all weak as kittens, I much prefer the Grabber. My much modded Destroyer.

Love the Destroyer!

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
Thanks for more kind welcomes.
Before I unsolder I just want to check my understanding.
I have had a look at the pickup and I cant see how to unsolder leads at the pickup end because of the epoxy- so I assume  Highlander means at the end where the wires attach either to the rotary or the treble pot. There are three wires- red goes to lug 8 on the Varitone, black to lug 5 and the orange to the treble pot- which one should I disconnect to test the pickup? Also I assume you mean I should select position 2 on the Varitone to isolate the pickup when testing? Sorry, for being thick- but I am with this stuff. I guess my aim is to try and find out which component is the problem at this stage. Thanks for the help thus far.

I have used the numbering in this diagram, which I note that the author acknowledges is wrong but seems to correspond with what I am seeing with respect the neck pickup leads.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=tA1R_kXL5YNEuM&tbnid=vOpvYBVCO5f8XM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.vintageguitarandbass.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F3253-Ripper-wiring-diagram&ei=YpI8VJf4ApXm8AWh94Ew&bvm=bv.77161500,d.dGc&psig=AFQjCNF5JvQ5QE5cO1yCqT42plJF_inoEQ&ust=1413341206072592

BTW- just replaced a bridge pickup in a Jazz just now, what a breeze compared to this.

Will do.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the help so far.
I thought it would be better to post some pics and get some further advice before I start snipping.
So, which colour wires should I snip to test the neck pickup?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 12:02:18 AM »
One of the best resources for Gibson circuitry is probably Jules' site Fly Guitars...

This is a diagram from a Ripper in that era but that looks like a split coil pup with those three wires - anyone else with a Ripper with the same components can check if this is the same in theirs...?

You missed what I mentioned - you should not need to cut anything as position 2 on your rotary switch disconnects the "live" circuit (according to Jules' notes), so you should be able to check resistance values whilst connected...
Check values between orange/red and orange/black - orange appears to be the return or ground cable - also see if there is a value between red/black...
The drawing shows a single coil but that does not mean there is not two coils linked together as one, as per a mudbucker...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »
One of the best resources for Gibson circuitry is probably Jules' site Fly Guitars...

This is a diagram from a Ripper in that era but that looks like a split coil pup with those three wires - anyone else with a Ripper with the same components can check if this is the same in theirs...?

You missed what I mentioned - you should not need to cut anything as position 2 on your rotary switch disconnects the "live" circuit (according to Jules' notes), so you should be able to check resistance values whilst connected...
Check values between orange/red and orange/black - orange appears to be the return or ground cable - also see if there is a value between red/black...
The drawing shows a single coil but that does not mean there is not two coils linked together as one, as per a mudbucker...

Thanks for that I will have a go tomorrow in better light- I was going on what Amptech said about snipping. I tried readings, with the rotary in position 2, where the wires are soldered to the lugs etc and got nothing. So maybe it is the pickup- probably easier to replace than the rotary, but I will have another go. Appreciated.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:04 AM »
Two things;

- I'm not sure about this switch but most switches can be cleaned, you might have corroded contacts somewhere. Worth trying.

- David Schwab (I think he is SGD luterie or something here) have posted many good threads on pickups, I think you can find a good deal on ripper electronics and pickups on the music electronics forum.

and yes, if you get no reading with the pickup IN the circuit, it should be easy enough to check it out of the circuit.
But record your work, even 3 wires can slip out of your memory quite rapidly!

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
OK.
Results:
Rotary position 1-
O/R- 5.85 k Ohms
O/B- 0.L
R/B- 0.L
Rotary position 2
O/R- 0.L k Ohms
O/B- 0.L
R/B- 0.L
Rotary position 3
O/R- 0.00 k Ohms
O/B- 5.75
R/B- 5.76
Rotary Position 4
O/R- 0.L k Ohms
O/B- 5.85
R/B- 0.L

Recap- nothing out of neck pickup in any position. Bridge pickup works in position 2 and 3.

Am I right in suspecting the neck pickup is dead and the readings I am getting in some of the tests for positions 1, 3 and 4 are the bridge pickup? Would this suggest that the rotary is working and the problem is confined to the neck pickup, or is that a stretch too far.

Again, thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:24:00 PM by veebass »

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
Any views? :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to pay our last respects... :sad:

I'd probably cut the wires just leaving a small amount of colour at the connections and test the pup detached, but imo that's a dead parrot sketch... last ditch checks...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...