Author Topic: Anyone play Flats exclusively in a hard rock, yet "versatile" setting?  (Read 3184 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Anyone play Flats exclusively in a hard rock, yet "versatile" setting?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
I've always liked them.  I like old strings in general, but old flats are great as far as I'm concerned.

These flats have been on my '63 P since at least 1972...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
Flats all the way on my Celinders, Les Paul Sigs and other various Gibsons, TBIV, Hofners, Guild SF's M-85's, Epiphones, Bruce Johnson & Ampeg Scrolltops. However recently restrung my PRS 4 from it's deadly Dean Markley flats after 12years and now..DR Rounds..voila a piano with real deep undertones. An interesting detour that requires some playing time.
Pilgrim, is that an original finish on that P?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:44:23 PM »
I have always been a rounds guy but I'm going to start experimenting with flats this year. Mostly because in the past I was too busy/poor to spend the time/cash but now I have at least got more cash. I love some of the tones that flats players get.
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:06 AM »
I've tried flat several times on several basses. Even still have them on one of my basses today (the Epi JCS).

But I can't get to like them. I miss the harmonics that give my sound power.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
I used GHS Brite Flats for about 20 years, in all kinds of music.  With a good amp, you can dial a pretty aggressive sound out of them.  It's really only been the past few years where I've switched to rounds.  While a lot of them are too tinny for me, I find the TI Jazz Rounds are pretty mellow, and Roto RB40's are also well-rounded.  I still keep TI Flats on my Hamer and the Magnatone, and the Scroll Bass only has one option for strings that I know of.
I used flats simply for the fact that they wouldn't tear my frets up in the old days.  Now, I play a little gentler.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I used flats simply for the fact that they wouldn't tear my frets up in the old days.  Now, I play a little gentler.

I find that nickel rounds are no harder on the frets than stainless flats. OTOH I've never been an aggressive player.

Stainless rounds are another matter. They're like little needle files.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
I have TI flats on my Yamaha BB400 and they are the perfect "voice" of that bass but all my other basses have rounds of one type or another.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »
I find that nickel rounds are no harder on the frets than stainless flats. OTOH I've never been an aggressive player.

Just gotta have good frets Dave. about 25 years ago I got Brian West to put some Dimarzio jumbo frets in my Jazz, I'm an aggressive player about 50% of the time and I use stainless rounds. There would be thousands of hours of giging/playing on those frets. The fret wear is so minimal that Brian jokes with me that he made a mistake using that fretwire because he cant make any money out of refrets. In fact I need to get the (maple top) neck re painted because I've worn through it and into the wood and inlays.
Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:55 AM »
I am using heavy flats (50-110) on my pee copy because I wanted to sound like steve harris or roger waters. Well, I double failed.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25:55 AM »
for a Steve harris tone/setup, loosen string tension and crank up the truss rod a bit, bring tension up a little bit, you will notice the strings are completley choked on the frets, then tune up and the string tension will pull the neck in, and your good to go.

You want the fretboard straight as an arrow.

CLANK CLANK CLANK! Steve harris.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:29 AM »

agree 100%, ever play the crap out of nickle rounds and take them off to notice the strings dent in from the frets, not the other way around.