Author Topic: Gibson Les Paul 5 string bass  (Read 1050 times)

Hornisse

Gibson Les Paul 5 string bass
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons of these instruments?  Looks like the string spacing is tight.  There is one on Ebay right now that I am watching and it is priced at $850 plus shipping from Canada.  Thanks for any opinions.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Les Paul 5 string bass
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »
Never owned one, just played one once in a shop years ago. If it's the one I saw with a starting bid of $850, it's a Les Paul Special (all mahogany). This was the lowest priced model.  I haven't been following what these have sold for recently, but $850 would be a decent price, don't know if I would go higher.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:08 AM »
If you like a bass that sounds like a Kingtiger tank, than the Special V is for you. The TCT Bart electronics do to TB Plus pups what gamma rays do to Bruce Banner. It's one hulk of a sound and the B string takes no prisoners. I find it a bit much actually, whenever I take mine out, it is "woarghhh!" The first two songs, but too much cherry pie by the third.

But certainly a good V string. String spacing is tighter, but still doablefor finger players, not hilarious like the Ric 4003S/5. Chunky neck that adds to the beef in sound. If the active electronics are too much for you, you could always yank them out (or add a passive switch), because the TB Plus pups work in passice mode on V strings too as the Gibson V proved. It is then a sound that is not as "take no prisoners"-punishing, but still has rock brawn.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »
Thank you for all of the opinions.  I may go for it as I've always liked the look of the Les Paul basses.  Plus, I already bought my Grabber from this same seller.  Interesting that both of my one piece necked Grabbers came from Canada!

I was always a fan of the Tiger Tanks too Uwe.  If the bass sounds like a King Tiger then it must really cut through the mix.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
I had the volume control on my LP switched to a push/pull pot (thanks Chromium!) so I could use it in passive. Not as overpowering then. Sounds great in either mode tho!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »

.... whenever I take mine out, it is "woarghhh!" The first two songs, but too much cherry pie by the third.

And what's wrong with "woarghhh!"? I never knew there was such a thing as too much cherry pie.  8)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
Depends on your waistline, Dave...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...