Author Topic: '66 Pontiac GTO  (Read 3832 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
'66 Pontiac GTO
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

This past weekend I got visit with my buddy Bill, he's a model railroader and, being originally from Galesburg, Il. quite the vintage car guy.
This is his 1966 Pontiac GTO, with a 389ci Tri-Power motor, completely restored - at one point the entire car and engine were parts. Engine is all rebuilt, the interior all restored, body metal all straightened and repainted, bumpers and trim re-chromed (This is why chrome rules, get it?) and of course a custom plate. Bill's dedication to a great job is amazing....and this isn't his only restoration, there are 3 '70's era Firebirds and at least 7 '60's - '70s era BSA and Triumph motorcycles in the garage as well!

Champagne Gold with factory wheels and white walls...........He's had some Red Lines on it too.

Nice plate!

U.S. metal at it's best!

No black hardware here!

Super clean interior too.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:10:37 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Re: '66 Pontiac GTO
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Super clean interior too.

Very cool!  BTW, who's the dude taking this picture?  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
Mark's older brother...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Nice car!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
Very cool!  BTW, who's the dude taking this picture?  ;)

;D

Sorry!  Just me in my civvies! Sportin' an au natural high n tight!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Really sweet.   

Had a red 67 way back when till that telephone pole kicks its ass.....

Car was a blast to drive in a straight line.   Cornering was not considered that important back then...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

I have driven this car just once, needless to say it was exhilerating as all hell to step on the gas pedal, hear the Rawr and get pushed back in the seat. You just can't come up on a curve unexpectedly!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:37:37 PM by TBird1958 »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Nice!

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »

;D

Sorry!  Just me in my civvies! Sportin' an au natural high n tight!

It's funny, I always fantasized (is that the right word?  ;D ) that you always walked around everywhere in your stage clothes!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Love it!  I had a Barrier Blue '66 GTO from 1970-73 (when a moron in Denver ran into it.)  Very fun car to drive, nice power (398 4-bbl with 4-speed and positrac). For its era, handling was decent.  I see that your friend has the engine the correct Pontiac color, too!he gas mileage.  

I'd love one again, and hang the gas mileage.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
That is one fine machine!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
I have stories about that GTO....great fun car.

I taught two girlfriends how to drive a stick with my '66...it had so much torque that if you put it in first gear and did not step on the brake, when you let out the clutch it just went!

And there was the time I was headed into a corner on a twisty Idaho road and the return spring fell off the throttle linkage....when I shifted down from 4 to 3, it turned out to be a power shift.  Got my toe under the gas pedal and pried it up in time to make it around the corner.

I had a '66, my brother had a '67 with the tri-power carbs, and my friend had a '66 Tempest with the GTO 389 in it.  All three had dual cherry bomb mufflers...we'd fire them up and let them idle side by side.  It sounded fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:06:42 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
wow! It needs a matching gold T-bird!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Beautiful! The engine looks great, even if it's not the shade of blue I'm used to.  ;)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Beautiful! The engine looks great, even if it's not the shade of blue I'm used to.  ;)

Tom even tho he's a diehard Pontiac guy, Bill has a 2011 Lime Green Mustang hiding in one the garage stalls too.....I really dig that shade of blue of yours!