Author Topic: "Re-Machined" - Deep Purple tribute album  (Read 2707 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
"Re-Machined" - Deep Purple tribute album
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
Not sure about Santana being on ANOTHER tribute album (and playing Smoke on the Water), but this clip of Lazy featuring Bonamassa and Australia's Jimmy Barnes is all kinds of awesome ...

Promo clip for the album ...

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: "Re-Machined" - Deep Purple tribute album
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
Yeah, that's a great cover - I miss Cold Chisel.  They were fun.
I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, but I saw Brad Whitford on the Experience Hendrix tour, and he is some kind of awesome guitar player.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Fascinating...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
The predecessor of Messrs Bolin and Morse - it's kind of awkward not to mention his name in this particular thread, but here we go - swiped that riff by his own admission from Clapton's Bluesbreakers riff in Steppin' Out. Stealing can be an art. When Roger Glover was asked what traits a guitarist for DP should bring he said: "It's funny, but I think it is: Can he play Lazy?" Both Bolin (sloppy and leaving half the notes out, but with his individual charm) and Morse could/can.

I have always rated Whitford a more original and tasteful guitarist than Perry. Perry is just handsome and has the rockstar thing down pat, but whenever an Aerosmith solo makes me take notice, it's more often than not Whitford and not Perry. That is not knocking Perry, he does what he does well, but Whitford has better choice of notes.

Aerosmith as a collective unit - forget some of those dreadfully soppy ballads - are an excellent band, no two ways about. Very American in a good way.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
I have a friend who is quite an Aerosmith fan.  That has caused me to be around their music much more than I would have otherwise.  It's good to see positive things said about Aerosmith here.  Certainly, they probably deserve more respect than they often get, in my opinion.  I don't like some of those ballads, either, but I'll agree there is a lot more to Aerosmith than that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
I have always rated Whitford a more original and tasteful guitarist than Perry. Perry is just handsome and has the rockstar thing down pat, but whenever an Aerosmith solo makes me take notice, it's more often than not Whitford and not Perry. That is not knocking Perry, he does what he does well, but Whitford has better choice of notes.

Aerosmith as a collective unit - forget some of those dreadfully soppy ballads - are an excellent band, no two ways about. Very American in a good way.

I agree. I only saw them once in 1978 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, Draw the Line tour. My uncle was a Chicago cop who moonlighted as security (saw a lot of cool shows there around that time, including VH on their first headlining tour), and he later told me Perry and Tyler were so smashed, he had to literally take them by the hand and walk them to the stage, or from the limo or something. LOL! I could definitely see it on stage too. At one point, Perry was trying to switch to his Bich guitar, and couldn't manage to figure out the strap situation. A roadie had to come out and put the guitar on him. Very Spinal Tap! Anyway, my point is, Whitford carried the show guitar-wise. I thought he was great!

Edit - one more thing - the next night was the very first time I heard Van Halen's debut. Mind = BLOWN! How could anyone kick KISS and Aerosmith's ass???  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »
That was at the height of their drug daze. Good survivors.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »
I only saw them the once too - Rocks tour at Hammersmith '76 - I surprised a buddy who had not seen them (when discussing them in the 80's) when I mentioned Whitford doing a major portion of the solo work...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Joe Perry is sometimes so busy changing guitars from song to song and looking great while doing it that his solos are like an afterthought. Whitford plays the more meaningful stuff - often rather unexpectedly from the back.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
I have an ex brother-in-law that is an almost dead-ringer for Whitford... ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
I took the family to see Aerosmith and ZZ Top about 2 years ago at Fiddler's Green in Denver.  It was literally elbow to elbow...both groups have a tremendous following.  I thought they both played darn well and put on excellent shows.

I really enjoy Aerosmith's music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
They are probably the most rhythm & bluesish (in a Yardbirds, not a Beyoncé sense) major hard rock band on earth. Zep had similar influences of course, but diluted things with their esoteric crap, folkie leanings and world music influences. When not being contaminated by outside writers, the boys from Boston stuck to their guns.

When I was a young man, I preferred Kiss to Aerosmith, because I found Kiss more accessible. But even then when I heard their records back to back as I sometimes did, I realized that Aerosmith are musicians while Kiss is an entertaining act. You had to be deaf not to hear that Toys in the Attic was in a different musical league to Dressed to Kill. And much as I like Gene S. as a deliverer of blood, fire, provocative one-liners and old-fashioned melodic bass runs, he sounds outright clumsy in comparison to the rhythmic nuances in Tom Hamilton's playing, he can be one funky white cat!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
Being compared to the Yardbirds can only be a good thing.  There was a magic to their music which I never quite felt with Led Zeppelin.  Based on interviews I've read with Tom Hamilton, he strikes me as the most humble bassist I've ever seen.  Considering that throat cancer he had, I'm sure he is thrilled to be alive and well now, as would anyone, of course. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »
Here's a few of my favorite artists jamming on stage;

Brad Whitford
Robert Kearns
Audley Freed

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:47:48 AM »
Being compared to the Yardbirds can only be a good thing.  There was a magic to their music which I never quite felt with Led Zeppelin.  Based on interviews I've read with Tom Hamilton, he strikes me as the most humble bassist I've ever seen.  Considering that throat cancer he had, I'm sure he is thrilled to be alive and well now, as would anyone, of course. 

I know, the poor guy is even ashamed of his bass track on Walk this Way because he finds it "too noisy"! And then, adding insult to injury, the producer quipped: "But that is exactly your style!"