Author Topic: Combo being researched... Ashdown, Trace Elliot or what...?  (Read 4023 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Combo being researched... Ashdown, Trace Elliot or what...?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
It's funny; every single combo amp mentioned in this thread is killer. Think about that. The market focus for bass amps has shifted to the point that cutting edge innovation is now focused primarily in what was once a throwaway demographic: portable combo bass amps.  I daresay because of that, the sound of most of those is superior to many of their "upmarket" bigger cousins.

The determining factor between them is now reduced to tonal nuance, not simple reliability or functionality. It wasn't so long ago that bass combos came in two basic flavors: the workman models like the Peavey TNT series or the pricey boutiques pioneered by amps like the SWR Redhead. Every amp company made some model of combo, and they were probably their biggest sellers, but their innovation focus and advertising was on their big-stage rigs; not so anymore.

That's OK. It leaves more SVT's for me.  ;)

No offence intended but if I made it sound like the Nemesis was in any way a valid replacement for a full rig then I apologise for not being specific enough in my description. That said, I'm not quite sure how "pretty good sound" , "very reasonable package for the cash" ,  "Certainly not like real tubes" or "most respectable tone" equates to "Killer sound" or the implied "as good as an SVT" .

Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »
No apologies necessary! My comments weren't the least bit sarcastic. I've played all the combos in question and wouldn't mind having and using any of them. I might need three of them for most of my gigs, but that's just because I play extremely loud and refuse to trust my sound to the idiots running PA's around here.

I love Nemesis stuff; it's better than Eden for rock, more raw sounding. That Nemesis 2x12 combo would make a fine stage amp with a decent PA filling out the sound for big venues and it would more than hold its own for smaller rooms. I have a Nemesis 8x10 cab. Strangely enough, they also offer it as a combo too, no kidding. I think the 250 watt Nemesis combos do have killer sound.

I was just commenting that amp companies seem to concentrate less on their "big boys" nowadays and focus more of their efforts on their "bread and butter" midsize combo amps. IMO, it's a symptom of an aging market who want quality and portability without hernias and the down economy making people demand more austere offerings. I think it's a good thing. Too many amp companies have sunk under the weight of flagship products that didn't deliver while they neglected their base market.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:26:56 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
I play extremely loud and refuse to trust my sound to the idiots running PA's around here.

I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I do the same as you. Also sadly true is the fact that friday week I'm booked in for my hernia op  :-[ .
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 06:06:56 AM »

I was just commenting that amp companies seem to concentrate less on their "big boys" nowadays and focus more of their efforts on their "bread and butter" midsize combo amps. IMO, it's a symptom of an aging market who want quality and portability without hernias and the down economy making people demand more austere offerings. I think it's a good thing. Too many amp companies have sunk under the weight of flagship products that didn't deliver while they neglected their base market.

I think you're right.  There are a lot of people still playing at age 50+, and weight starts to become an issue somewhere in there.  Also, a lot of people in that age range have the disposable income to upgrade to newer amps.  I happily ditched my heavier gear and changed to the Genz-Benz gear.  I don't play unusually loud, but I'm confident that with a pair of the T12 speakers and 600W to push them, I won't encounter a gig that I can't manage, even outside.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:38:27 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »
For those who wonder why I am shown as having edited the previous post, I just 'closed' the quote box in the previous post to make it easier to read. I didn't mess with anything Pilgrim had to say.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
Also sadly true is the fact that friday week I'm booked in for my hernia op  :-[ .

I don't know, Bret... trying to blame the rig when it was all those cases of wine you moved in, restocking that cavernous wine cellar of yours... ;)

In all seriousness, hopefully it all goes well - you having the invasive or the keyhole job...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
Keyhole unless it gets complicated is what I'm told.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 05:24:51 AM »
Many years ago, my dad had a hernia operation...he said that afterwards, he was black and blue all over his groin area.

Next time he saw the doctor for a post-op checkup, he had this conversation:

"Hey, do women get hernias too?"

"Yes, of course they do."

"Then tell me, what do you hold onto while you work on them?"   :rimshot:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
That's a bit below the belt Al...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
A few months back I picked up a Peavey Databass combo at the local GC for cheap. It's 450w@4 ohms into a single 15" BW (inexplicably rated at only 300w), with no provision for adding another cab. I'm having an ext cab jack installed and replacing the Widow with an Eminence Gamma 15A (8 ohms). The amp is loud al all get out anyway, but my idea is to plop a 1x10 box on top, and drive the whole mess with my tube preamp. Naturally I'd rather be rockin' the old Ampegs, but this will be easier on the ol' sacroiliac.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 05:34:56 AM »
I don't know, Billy, the sooner they master this anti-grav stuff the better... (add smiley with walking stick and long grey beard here...)

I've creased my spine in a few places but it's my neck that causes me most grief at the moment... and no jokes about sticking it where it don't belong, pur-lease... :mrgreen:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »
Just heading off to pick-up an Ashdown Mag 300 410 - £204 - supposedly never gigged...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
Good luck Ken.  I just looked at the specs and it's 97 lbs.!!  Not too heavy for a a youngster.... :P

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »
I just looked at the specs and it's 97 lbs.!!  Not too heavy for a a youngster.... :P

Ok, I give you that, there is a two year gap... gotta admit, I preferred the weight in kilos - sounded MUCH lighter... :P (much lighter than my 4 x 12 and the Hiwatt, mind you...)

WOW... SHE SURE IS LOUD... LOVES MUDBUCKERS TOO... ;D

The priority now is a decent set of wheels... 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
A good set of casters can be your friends.

Buy them heavier than you think you need - cheaper to get the right ones the first time than to replace them after they break.