Author Topic: Roger Corman ...  (Read 196 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Roger Corman ...
« on: May 12, 2024, 03:45:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 03:42:06 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Corman ...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 08:46:53 PM »
Who can forget "teenage" Robert Vaughn and Frank DeKova in Teenage Caveman? A lot of people, apparently.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 02:18:49 AM »
Robert Vaughn's performance in this cutting edge sociological comment arthouse cineastic gem is absolutely compelling, he was really born for the role.

And Neanderthalmen did age faster, you know.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 07:48:48 AM »
I am a fan of The Raven with Karloff, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre (and a young Jack Nicholson).  Great movie with odd period special effects, and lots of portentous dialog spoken in foreboding tones of doom. It could easily be a two-beer movie.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 09:47:38 AM »
A lot of Corman’s stuff had that “so bad, it’s good”-factor, that is no mean feat. The eyes-plucked-out scene stuck with me forever and made me a fan of that particular bible quote. :mrgreen: The Raven was good, true.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 05:06:50 AM by uwe »

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 05:45:06 PM »
I *love* "Little Shop Of Horrors"...would like to re-visit "The Trip" once again after 40+ years. Enjoyed some of the Poe-based-stuff as well.

RIP, sir.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:07 PM »
Robert Vaughn's performance in this cutting edge sociological comment arthouse cineastic gem is absolutely compelling, he was really born for the role.

And Neanderthalmen did age faster, you know.  ;D

In the early years of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K), their hilarious (IMO) commentary on this movie was one that really solidified their reputation.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 07:11:52 AM »
Those guys are great!  :mrgreen:

To the defense of the recently deceased, calling the film Teenage Caveman wasn't his idea, he was dead against it, it was the film company's do. Corman did not cast Robert Vaugh as a "teenager" and he wanted the film to be titled "Prehistoric World".

Actually, the twist in the movie (not spoiling it!) isn't so bad, a bit like Planet of the Apes, but 10 years earlier (oops, I did spoil it now!).

Two further important observations:

- If cavewomen who knew no shame (at 00:04 and 01:11) really looked like the highly appealing Miss Darah Marshall,

I wanna go back, pleeeeeze! Anthropologically speaking, I could bolster their evolutionary development in my own selfless way.

- Using a real monitor to play a dinosaur (at 00:08 and 01:34) and then not even naming it in the movie credits is callous & despicable + should have rightfully been taken up by the Monitor Lizard Motion Picture Extra's Scaly Union! Let's not talk about the baby alligator (introduced at 00:01 and mock-battling with the monitor at 01:34) doubling as a sail-backed dimetrodon! I don't even want to speculate about how they go that fake sail fixed on that poor creature's back.  ;D What's worse, in the battle as the alligator/dimetrodon is spinning around its axis (something they don't do on land), there is obviously someone grabbing the silently suffering critter's tail twisting it around manually - ouch! And they have somehow attached the likewise poor monitor's head to the alligator snout to make it appear he's being swallowed. Yes, animals were definitely harmed in the making of this movie, did perhaps someone from Kristi 'gravel pit of doom' Noem's family co-produce?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 07:51:23 AM by uwe »