Author Topic: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV  (Read 16419 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: LE Cherry Thunderbird IV
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
Don't be so harsh on yourself, Mark, in a way many of your pasttimes today are of very adult nature!

Yeah, when my father turned 50 in 81 I thought, "gosh, now he's ancient ...". Never mind, he still thinks I do childish stuff even though he's now 81.

I never had complaints about the Kramer, still have it, still play it (since the mid-eighties it has EMGs and not the original Schaller Model 2 rip-off, look, I was young and obviously had too much money!). It's a bass that through its sheer weight and unbalancedness separates the men from the boys. And our then-drummer playing on it with his sticks during his drum solo was an integral highlight of our show.try thatz with another bass!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
In the small picture it looks like you had flowers in your hair (which would have been a nice tongue in cheek contrast to the leather and googles)
But in the larger pic it looks like a garter belt turned into sweatband? (leather and lace?)

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
Here's one of me at around the same time--obviously a JP fan too!  Check out that hairdo (hairdon't?)!  The propane tanks in the background are a nice hayseed touch.  We lived out in the country.

Uwe, I've seen your Korinabird (amazing!!) and I know you have a Blackbird, a Sixx MkII, and the Cherry LE, but what other reverse 'birds are in the collection?  I'd love to see pictures of them (including that LE) if you don't mind posting a few!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
Definitely a newbie... easier to ask him what isn't in Ze Kollection...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Funny how that works. I remember how old my grandparents seemed when I was growing up, and that's when they were younger than I am now.
I have heard my mom and her sisters say the exact same thing when looking at old photos. I think it just comes down to the styles between then and now.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2012, 03:40:40 AM »
In the small picture it looks like you had flowers in your hair (which would have been a nice tongue in cheek contrast to the leather and googles)
But in the larger pic it looks like a garter belt turned into sweatband? (leather and lace?)

A garter belt, no less. Well, my girlfriend at the time wouldn't wear it ("I feel awkward with it ..."), so rather than let it go to waste I thought someone has to wear it ... I'm pragmatic in that way. And I liked the New York Dolls as well. The In too much too soon album which I had rescued from the bargain bin had mesmerized me. I only heard the Todd Rundgren (mis)produced 1st album much later.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2012, 04:27:10 AM »
Here's one of me at around the same time--obviously a JP fan too!  Check out that hairdo (hairdon't?)!  The propane tanks in the background are a nice hayseed touch.  We lived out in the country.

Uwe, I've seen your Korinabird (amazing!!) and I know you have a Blackbird, a Sixx MkII, and the Cherry LE, but what other reverse 'birds are in the collection?  I'd love to see pictures of them (including that LE) if you don't mind posting a few!

My LE Cherry TB is unfortunately currently at the lutiher for fretend filing! It turned all spiky. Many new Gibsons do that in the dry winter climate of Germany but the wood (IIRC it is preciosa on mine)  used for the fretboard in this case seems to do it even more than the "procured under circumstances that warrant further explanation"-rosewood and ebony usually used.

As regards my other TBs, I'll post something when I'm back in the office.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »
A garter belt, no less. Well, my girlfriend at the time wouldn't wear it ("I feel awkward with it ..."), so rather than let it go to waste I thought someone has to wear it ... I'm pragmatic in that way. And I liked the New York Dolls as well. The In too much too soon album which I had rescued from the bargain bin had mesmerized me. I only heard the Todd Rundgren (mis)produced 1st album much later.

I Love wearing garter belts! We have so much in common Herr Moderator  ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:35:55 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
Uwe's reverse Thunderbirds, at least as of a couple of years ago.

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
Thanks, Dave!  I wish MY office looked like that!! :o

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »

Damm,
 White Single Pup '86!

Now I have to go have my way with myself   :P
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
Is that the one he got from George...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Yes, these things have a way of going to Germany and then they never return  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
Thanks, Dave!  I wish MY office looked like that!! :o

That's only a small portion of his office!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:11:47 PM by Dave W »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2012, 06:46:23 AM »

Yes, these things have a way of going to Germany and then they never return  ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: