Author Topic: New Gibson EB bass mini review  (Read 24441 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Gibson EB bass mini review
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
In case anyone is interested, the pickup dimensions are 3.7 in. x 1.7 in. No, I didn't use calipers, but that's very close. I don't know how that compares to TB Plus pickups.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
I like the guy, kinda Frankie goes to Hollywood meets Monty Python. Ken, I had no idea there was even one limey store with as many newish Gibson basses, commendable!

Brighton, as they say, obviously rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-bh-YmbMQ&feature=player_embedded

This is hilarious;

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:33:58 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
You heard the man; the EB Bass is wicked.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »
Yes, and the Grabber Tribute is "a fantastic bit of gear".  8)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
You heard the man; the EB Bass is wicked.

The last word in the vid:

Awesome.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

He doesn't begin to get anything out of that G-3...........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »
... Ken, I had no idea there was even one limey store with as many newish Gibson basses, commendable!

Never knew of the existance of this one (Brighton is both "green" and "pink" these days) and I try and avoid gas if at all humanly possible... ;)

Their website had reference to a "Gibson" evening on the 28th...

Gibson Factory Experience

I have to say that they have a pretty comprehensive stock of Bass's, imo... Got to say that I'd be tempted by that Epi pro T'bird at that price, but then I glanced in the general direction of the shed...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

Their website had reference to a "Gibson" evening on the 28th...

Gibson Factory Experience

Too bad it's already over. Uwe might have traveled there for it if he had known.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
He doesn't begin to get anything out of that G-3...........

No shit.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »
Too bad it's already over. Uwe might have traveled there for it if he had known.

Are you kidding me into self-frustration?! They've done those roadshows in Germany too - it's always all guitars ... Any question about basses would raise eyebrows only and establish the nerd factor of the questioner. Nein danke.

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 12:48:53 AM »
Are you kidding me into self-frustration?! They've done those roadshows in Germany too - it's always all guitars ... Any question about basses would raise eyebrows only and establish the nerd factor of the questioner. Nein danke.

Fact! Don't ever ask in a german GC for Gibson Basses. The employees don't know anything about them and start treat you like a leper. Last week I was calling a GC and asked them if they could ship a Thunderbird to me to check it out (but mind I had payed the full price first before they would send it to my home). They said that they don't ship the bass because it's a Gibson and they are extremly rare. I start laughing and hung up the phone. That guy made my day.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 04:00:19 AM »
To be fair, Session Music in Frankfurt is reasonably stocked as regards Gibson basses, they have about half a dozen, a Novoselic RD, a reg Bird, a Nikki Sixx, a Non-Rev, an SG and they will be getting some Midnights, the EB and the ES-335 Basses too. Believe there to be an Oversize LP too. In part, of course, that has to do with me because they know they will always at least sell one specimen, but Marco, who heads the bass department, albeit a card-carrying Fenderista, holds the view "that you're not a real bass shop if you don't always have a Ric and a TBird on the rack as well - they're classics ...". The only thing that bugs me is that all the Gibson basses are out of reach in the rafters while the floor is populated by Fender, Warwick, Ibanez, Sandberg, what have you. Marco says: "The Gibsons just look cool up there and we want them to be seen!", but shouldn't they be played rather than just seen?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »

They do demos here too. Since this store seems to be the only one in the world with a full stock of Gibson basses, I figured that the Gibson promo would include basses. Maybe not.

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Ok the guys in Frakfurt got some.  The only GC I know is session music in Hamburg and they've got betweenwhiles up to three Gibson basses in the shop. You have to be a extrem lucky guy to be in the right place at the right time to get one. Most of the shops got not even one of these instruments. Sorry I'm very disappointed by the german GC's. I don't ask for the full range of Gibson Basses to be displayed but a few of their classics should be in stock at every big GC.
I would answer Marco that this basses look great indeed but they sound even better.  :mrgreen:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
Are people from Hamburg called Hamburgers and are people from Frankfurt called Frankfurters? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  :D
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.