Author Topic: So I bought a Gibson bass again  (Read 19969 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: So I bought a Gibson bass again
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
That's true.
I have them on my P-Bass mostly because it is old and wobbly like me so the low tension is nice but I broke the G last week.
I do think that they have a "woody" sound on that bass which is appealing to me.  The thought of $75 for a set however is not..
What other low Tension flats are good?

The LaBella Low Tension Flats are the only other specifically low tension ones I know of. I seem to be the only one who didn't care for them so don't listen to me.  :)  They're about $45. If I needed low tension, though, I'd either go with the LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Extra Lights (39-96) or what Ilan has done, Ernie Ball Group IV flats. Both will give you traditional flatwound tone.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
Check the wiring and note the second illustration here. I remove the .01 cap, it shunts highs to ground.
Someone got there before me and robbed me of my longtime guilty pleasure of shunting capacitors.

So it's a 1970 after all? Well, just as good.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:21:26 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 08:04:47 AM »
The LaBella Low Tension Flats are the only other specifically low tension ones I know of. I seem to be the only one who didn't care for them so don't listen to me.  :)  They're about $45. If I needed low tension, though, I'd either go with the LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Extra Lights (39-96) or what Ilan has done, Ernie Ball Group IV flats. Both will give you traditional flatwound tone.

Thanks!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 08:07:17 AM »
:mrgreen: I see what you mean

What a fashionista!
"I think I'll pose with the. . .  blue strings so this shirt should just right."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »

I use the Labella Deep Talkin' flats in light gauge (.043-.104) on most basses.  I haven't tried the Extra Lights, but may do so.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »
I really like the bass so far. I can't wait for the witch hat knobs to arrive. It didn't bother me at first when I was ignorant, but since you guys mentioned that the gold skirted knobs are incorrect, it drives me nuts to look at them.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 08:41:45 PM »
I use the Labella Deep Talkin' flats in light gauge (.043-.104) on most basses.  I haven't tried the Extra Lights, but may do so.

The 43-104 light gauge LaBellas are relatively low tension on the neck, much less so than 45-100 Chromes. But they don't feel loose like the Low Tension LaBellas or the TIs. Fine by me, I don't like strings that loose.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »
Well. . . I grabbed a set of the Labella's' and will try to contrast them with TI's if I don't like them it will be on to the next set.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
I really like the bass so far. I can't wait for the witch hat knobs to arrive. It didn't bother me at first when I was ignorant, but since you guys mentioned that the gold skirted knobs are incorrect, it drives me nuts to look at them.

"Incorrect" is an ambivalent term with Gibson, I've had sixties and seventies EB in SG-shape that have had the gold skirted knobs and I did not take these to be replacement/after-market. I don't believe that Gibson would have ever delayed delivery of a bass for even a day after the witch hat knob box was empty if the gold skirted knob one was still full. They didn't work like that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
I agree with Uwe's comment.
Being an old guy offers an interesting perspective, when you understand that Gibson and Fender sent what they had.  Guitars were sold everywhere and for both brands (and many cheapies) it was the golden years.
There were as many twisted necks and dead sounding guitars in the 60's as there are now. . . in fact perhaps less.
A lot of the mods that were made were not necessarily for the sound they created but to personalize the guys instrument.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
Either way, witch hats are still cooler, mainly because they evoke a certain Deep Purple guitairist's choice of headwear. They should also make the bass sound better when you play Smoke on the water, or perhaps Space Truckin' which should sound pretty cool on a slot head too. Play it loud and proud!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »
Tangent: Uwe - that pretty burst slothead with the three pickups - how's it sound? And how the heck is it wired up?
There's only three knobs on that thing, what do they each do?
Seems like you'd need at least four unless you either forgo a tone control entirely, or one of the pickups is always full up.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »
Someone got there before me and robbed me of my longtime guilty pleasure of shunting capacitors.

The simple pleasures are sometimes the best.  :mrgreen:

The skirted knobs wouldn't look bad or out of place if they weren't gold. At least they weren't gold speed knobs.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Tangent: Uwe - that pretty burst slothead with the three pickups - how's it sound? And how the heck is it wired up?
There's only three knobs on that thing, what do they each do?
Seems like you'd need at least four unless you either forgo a tone control entirely, or one of the pickups is always full up.

That's the bass I found for him in San Antonio. Remember that from back in  the Pit days? It was a nice cherry EB-0L with one insignificant flaw, a bullet hole through the neck that also caused a lengthwise split. When Uwe had his luthier repair it, he had the poor thing refinished, no doubt against its will.  ;)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
Yeah I remember admiring the photos of it before, but I have forgotten how it works and can't make sense of it :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy