Author Topic: How the 2019 Grammy Awards Basically Ignored Rock & Metal  (Read 2326 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: How the 2019 Grammy Awards Basically Ignored Rock & Metal
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 04:27:36 AM »
Finally a decent version of that grotesquely overrated song.  :-X

One thing Greta van Fleet are not: manufactured. They played the clubs in their boondocks town already many years ago.

I can't get worked up about their success - their story is a bit like Kings of Leon. And the latter matured quite a bit after those so-so early albums (although critics gushed over them). They learned to play for one thing. Compared to them, the first two albums of the Fleets are even Weather Report-worthy exercises in finesse and skill.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
as I've said somewhere on the board before, Wolf Mother (more of you lot liked those guys IIRC) beat them to it by a decade

I don't hear Zeppelin in Wolfmother, but definitely Sabbath and other early 70s obscurities. Dude's got a GREAT voice. I love their first two albums, but pretty much fell off after that. More recently, I think Rival Sons have done a nice job paying homage to the mighty Zep. I also hear some Bad Co. and I think even early Steve Miller Band in their music.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 08:25:03 AM »
The Fleets have come a long way since 2012.

But if some of my formative stuff had been recorded for posterity - luckily it never was - I would need to be a lot more ashamed.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:41 AM »

More recently, I think Rival Sons have done a nice job paying homage to the mighty Zep. I also hear some Bad Co. and I think even early Steve Miller Band in their music.

I like them too. As if Jim Morrison could have actually sung.  :)

I saw them win over a Deep Purple audience when they opened for the Purps a few years back. I thought they were impressive. But they are too old for the overt teen magazine appeal of the Fleets who are kind of a bastard child of Led Zep and these guys kids here ...  :mrgreen:

Hey, I liked Hanson too!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:44:05 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
I like them too. As if Jim Morrison could have actually sung.  :)

I saw them win over a Deep Purple audience when they opened for the Purps a few years back. I thought they were impressive. But they are too old for the overt teen magazine appeal of the Fleets who are kind of a bastard child of Led Zep and these guys kids here ...  :mrgreen:

Hey, I liked Hanson too!

Sorry, I can't resist a good meme.  :mrgreen: