Author Topic: Epiphone Elitist Thunderbird Pickup Question  (Read 3277 times)

dc10bass

• View Profile
Epiphone Elitist Thunderbird Pickup Question
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
Group...

A while ago I bought an Epiphone Elitist Thunderbird bass with a broken headstock and just had it rebuilt by a highly reputable luthier here in Metro Detroit...
The bass was missing all of the hardware as well...

I replaced the tuners and bridge but have yet to do anything with the pickups.
I have a few two hole chrome covers that I could use to cover a set of Seymour Duncan SSB-4 pickups.

The reason I ask is that I may be selling it in the future and would like to put desirable pickups in this bass.

…Any other possible pickup options?

You input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:39:46 AM by dc10bass »
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Epiphone Eletist Thunderbird Pickup Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
I think Bartolini makes a replacement pickup.  Other than that, what I would do (if it were me) was look for some dead pickups on FleaBay, then have them rewound.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Epiphone Eletist Thunderbird Pickup Question
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
If it's the Elitist, it'll be routed for guitar sized humbuckers:

If you want to keep it that way (and still go for the chrome look) you could try some chrome Pitbulls or maybe those Fralin pickups.  Can't speak to the cost of the Fralins, but the Pitbull that went in my Ampeg set me back about $140.  I'm guessing Fralins aren't any cheaper - so this is an expensive proposition if your plan is to resell it.

If you have the Japan Epi or Orville (or an Elitist that you plan to route out to fit those chrome Bicentenniel covers) then your idea to stuff the covers with SSB-4s is probably not a bad bet (again, considering you plan to resell it).  You could also try what Rob did and load the covers up with a pair of those NOS G-3/S-1 pickups from that same Ebay seller - roll your own 60s-ish humbucker:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1335&highlight=thunderbird