Author Topic: h p lovecraft  (Read 927 times)

nofi

• View Profile
h p lovecraft
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
https://medium.com/message/i-cant-even-33ac06fe8ddf

stumbled on this here while watching a dog video. :o

then there are these guys from way back.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:42:40 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: h p lovecraft
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »
A very interesting essay, and quite perceptive in capturing Lovecraft's ability to create atmosphere by avoiding description.  Cool.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
I really loved those guys back in the day and their records still get regular spins. HP Lovecraft II was a major album in my 60s circles. I bought the Live - May 1968 the very first time I came across it and was blown away by their ability to translate their studio sound to a more sparse live setting. I had always considered them to be more of a band dependant on a studio setting.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
Yes!! Thanks for the link.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
That is pretty interesting music... I like it. Sounds very much of its time, and exploring things that were later left by the wayside (the staggered vocal phrases are really cool, and there's some really odd keyboard playing among other things).

Lovecraft the writer was interesting too... quite effective at what he did; I vividly recall "The Colour from Space" creeping me out quite severely.  I love that article you linked to.  It's really too bad he was a complete crap human being: http://www.racialicious.com/2014/05/28/the-n-word-through-the-ages-the-madness-of-hp-lovecraft/
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
My, the author of that article does his absolute best to paint Lovecraft as a vicious bigot without redeeming qualities who "also wrote stories."  Despite his disclaimers at the end of the article, he seems to think Lovecraft's bigotry was more important than his writings.  I hope he never listens to Wagner, as the composer's anti-semitic feelings are well known.

There are bad people who do good things; there are good people who do bad things; most of us manage to do a lot of both. I suggest that Lovecraft's bigotry informed his writing to the point that it was more vivid (and more objectionable today,) but that vivid imagery may also have contributed to his popularity since it contributed to building the disturbing mental images he writing evokes.

BTW: I never heard of the band.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
(the staggered vocal phrases are really cool, and there's some really odd keyboard playing among other things)

They're coming from the same guy: Dave Michaels;D 

Really did love the writer too. Read all of his writings ( that had been released translated in Dutch that is  ;) ) in my late 60s horror-phase ......
Experience is the ultimate teacher