Author Topic: 11-11-1972  (Read 2103 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
11-11-1972
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
I kinda let this slip by...

RIP Berry, now forty years gone...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: 11-11-1972
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
40 years....wow that went fast.  RIP Berry.   One of my masters of bass...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
Wow fast is right.  RIP Berry Oakley.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
It's when they die young, remaining locked in time, that they stay in sharp relief in our minds, like 35 years since Ronnie Van Zant left us...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
Seems like he looked older that his 24 years too.  Both those guys (Berry & Duane) were top notch.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
They both lived it to the limit and reaped the reward...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:07 AM »
a violent, early death?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
indeed... sadly... the irony was intentional...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
Actually, Duane got up after the wreck and did not go to the hospital right away.  It may have saved his life if he had gone, who knows.  But when you are young you feel invincible.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:57 PM »
Oteil Burbridge posted something really nice on his facebook page (which also has a great shot of him playing an EB-2!):

For Berry -

I wish I could have met him. After 43 years only truly timeless songs don't get old to play year in and year out. Berry's baselines are integral to those compositions. Berry's bass lines on Don't Keep me Wondering, Every Hungry Woman, Stand Back, Ain't Wastin' Time, Black Hearted Woman, and the iconic Whipping Post have been the fountain I get water from in the ABB for the last 15 years. Those bass lines ain't ever gonna get old.

There are a lot of great bassists in rock and roll. But everyone knows how much I need the funk. Billy Cox and Berry are my two favorites when it comes to that. I always thought funk and rock had the same parents. Thank God I grew up in the era of Sly Stone and Band Of Gypsies. Personally I always thought of Sly as a funk band more than a rock band. But I think Berry Oakley gets missed by the funk community. I'm generalizing of course but I think its a safe bet to say that he's not thought of as a "funk" bassist. But a song like Don't Keep Me Wondering will raise it's fist in protest. And the fact that he did it with a pick is all the more impressive. I never used a pick before the ABB. When I first started, (thanks to a suggestion by Dickey's guitar tech Joe Dan Petty) I thought to myself, "Well I ain't gonna be able to play funky with this thing." Then I remembered, most of the funkiest rhythm guitarists in funk and r&b all played with picks. What a cool new road I had to go down now and it was something I never would have thought of if it wasn't for me having to really study Berry in depth.

He was a true American innovator. And he was fearless about it. Check out how he is playing the bass line to Leave My Blues At Home in B minor even though the song is in D. For the non musician this wouldn't seem that radical because they are sympathetic to each other but it is like turning something and looking at it from a different angle. You see something new. He also took the bass improvs to new levels. As Duane and Dickey would slowly build their solos, gradually climbing the guitar neck, Berry would go with them. He refused to be the kid left at home while the parents took a trip. He wanted to see all those places too and he took us there with him. Who knows what would have come out of his head and heart through that bass had he lived. I hope he can hear what we're doing with it since he can't be here. And I hope he is well pleased.

Thanks Berry. For all the music, the sick bass lines, grooves and improvisations, we are truly grateful.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
Amen, man!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
+1 on that... Otiel's comments are truly honorable...

Nearly right Robert...
Actually, Duane Berry got up after the wreck and did not go to the hospital right away....

Doctors noted that even if he'd gone straight to hospital it is highly unlikely they could have saved him; Duane was alive after his wreck (not with a peach truck) but very severely injured, dying on the operating table...