Author Topic: **** Vintage!  (Read 6312 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: **** Vintage!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 09:11:55 AM »

"Anuzza thread shot to hell. Oh well."

I'll not be chastized for wandering little off topic with folks that are my friends......this is supposed to be a fun informative place with a great pool of collective knowledge.

I wasn't joking about the power conditioner....if you haven't tried one, you should, I play out enough to say its a vital part of my rig. That said I have no sentimental spot for amplifiers, they are merely tools, if it can't be fixed just sell it. I had an Ampeg V4B from 76-80, sure it was okay as a loud bass amp but along came the chance to buy a new GK 400Rb and away went the Ampeg, I kept the 400 till I could afford to buy my 1001RB. I like a warm vintage sound tho and my present GK wouldn't by itself deliver that so I use a Line6 pedal with one of its Ampeg models eq'd repeatedly for each of my T-Birds, I've also used it's Acoustic 360 model which is fantastic........I know Johnny Crab uses this too, PM him and ask. Point being, you can certainly get vintage tone thru a modern quiet amp. To me the bass is a given, its a Gibson, not like they're making any more of them! Its why we repair broken headstocks, refin, search for pickups, etc. I'd do just about anything to save a 12k investment.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »
Terr,
The nice thing about your rig is that it's very serviceable.  You could always run the bass and head over to a tech who could probably get it solved quickly and easily.  I'm sure there's lots of good amp techs (especially where you live) that someone could recommend.  I remember that SVT you bought - beautiful rig.  No reason that setup shouldn't be able to sing.  I'd sell the Behringer and use that $$ to tip the tech afterwards  ;D

I buy losta old quirky gear.  Sometimes it doesn't work at all, but when you get past that, oh myyyyy!  Good things happen!

Good luck with it!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
Thanks Joe~ Made me laff! haha Guess I'll keep striving for vintage sounds.

Thanks Tbird too~ Those Furmans range from about $160 to $650 @ zzounds.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=search/ppc&cat=2391&cat2=3547

I'll have to get one I guess. I'm thinking the Pro Series Power Conditioner for $375...