Author Topic: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"  (Read 17337 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »
I agree - not boring ot me.  The instrument simply is what it is.  I appreciate what it is, and don't find that boring.

Think if you were playing an upright bass - every one in the world looks and sounds essentially like every other (Stradivarii, etc. notwithstanding).

Being a (so so) upright player myself and a P bass player (also Ricks and Gibsons) I have heard a multitude of different sounds from both uprights and P basses. There are people who think Ricks and Gibsons all sound the same too. I am not among them.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
Of course it's a fact that Duck Dunn and Entwistle sound completely different. Still I think a P has a signature tone you always recognoze. Because 90% of all songs in the world are recorded with a P it just feels and sounds good and familiar.

But I always love songs with unfamiliar bass sounds.

At this moment I gig with my P mostly too, cos it sounds well with every amp (I guess every amp maker checks their amp with a Fender and not with an EB3) and it's no problem if it falls of your stand.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »

(I guess every amp maker checks their amp with a Fender and not with an EB3)

I think this is true. I can get a good sound with my Ps out of all but the crapiest of amps. It's been several years and amp technology has changed a great deal, but Gibsons, in particular, were more picky. The first thing that comes to mind is an EB2. Many years ago I wanted one of these so bad and ended up owning one for a matter of a few days because it just didn't work with my amp. I was using an old Ampeg with 2 Altec Lansing 15s which are a very responsive , crisp, free moving speaker and that EB2 was so bottomy and muddy that it would have shreaded them in seconds if I turned it up . I wasn't going to buy a new amp too , so the Gibson went right back to the store . I had  similar issues with a Ric using that amp, but not as bad.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 10:48:14 AM »
Never found anything that did not sound good thru my Hiwatt and not likely to buy new here...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
More speaker technology than amp issues here. Give me a good tube head ( guitar or bass ) as long as the speaker cab is up to the job I've no worries
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
Being a (so so) upright player myself and a P bass player (also Ricks and Gibsons) I have heard a multitude of different sounds from both uprights and P basses. There are people who think Ricks and Gibsons all sound the same too. I am not among them.

Bob, as a former upright player I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement!  My fault - you're right. Yes, there are different sounds - but I confess I can't tell a Ric from a Fender or an upright Kay from anything else by listening to it.  I can tell there is a difference - but I pretty much like all of them when they're played well.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »
Never found anything that did not sound good thru my Hiwatt and not likely to buy new here...  ;)

Same here with my old Ampeg SVT, everything sounds good through them, that is if they're capable of sounding good.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
If pee basses were cars, they would be dark grey toyota corollas. Or, even worse, volvos.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Hornisse

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
I love my Precision Bass.  It does have a tone that I love.  Some of my favorite players play(ed) one.

Pete Farndon, Paul Simonon, Bob Glaub, Duck Dunn, George McArdle, Norbert Putnam, Jamerson, Babbitt, Ronnie Baker, etc., etc.....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
If pee basses were cars, they would be dark grey toyota corollas. Or, even worse, volvos.

Meaning they'd work well and be trouble-free practically forever?  ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
Meaning they'd work well and be trouble-free practically forever?  ;)

Well, the word I had in mind was "boring", but...  8)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

nofi

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
boring is many things to different people. maybe some folks don't like crack happy, overpriced and underwhelming  short scales and basses named after some kinda mythical bird thing. it could happen.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:12:55 PM by nofi »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
Lets not turn this into a Talkbass thread! ;)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »
Lets not turn this into a Talkbass thread! ;)

Hi, my name is Fassa..... ;)

nofi

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
this isn't a talkbass thread it's a difference of opinion.