Author Topic: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"  (Read 17338 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:41 AM »
Entwistle sounds interesting on any bass. And some people sound boring on any bass. I'm still Uwe Hornung when I play a P Bass, I'm probably even a bit more agressive in my playing (or it comes out that way) than if I play a TBird (which has kind of a soothing influence on me). But the longer I play, the more I realize that gear - as long as it works and has a minimum quality - has only a miniscule part to do with how you sound and what you project.

Let's not end up like guitarists, those sorry creatures that believe their identity is determined by "their" guitar and "their" amp. The look of dread you see on guitarists' faces when you propose to them "well, you might play over someone else's amp, you know ..." always cracks me up. If you are not able to get something that appoximates your sound (enough to fool 90% of the world population) over a run-of-the-mill bass and amp, you should seek counseling.

Yes, I'm a nerdy Gibson bass collector, but I would hate to think that they define my playing. I can have as much fun on a Yamaha or Ibanez.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
Have there been any worthwhile advances in bass technology in the last 40 years? 

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:07 AM »
More advances in attitude than technology I guess
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2009, 07:08:40 AM »
Advances... hmm... I just can't see an improvement in the basic 4 strings that I've got - back in the day, I played more HM than what I do these days, mostly 3 piece + vox, but I filled in just as well with the odd chord, here and there (God bless the Lemmy); nothing new in that; plenty of chords going on, even more laid-back players, a-la-Andy Fraser, used them. Yes, there are 4/5/6/8/12 string basses, and variations thereof, and I know they have there fans here, but it is all up to the individual...

I find that when I play my "Tequilabird" there's a more agressive edge to my playing that occurs (the "tequila" influence; either that or the "brown acid" noted elsewhere by one of the bretheren  ;D), but the RD, being fretless, then its "Mellow-time"...

Uwe's said it before about the Precision - it is a tried and tested formula - if it ain't broke...

ps - still don't and never have owned one...  ;D

pps - get the soundman to put the effects in later, where you have the opportunity - for everyone else it's "blueray" v "Ipod" - on a busy stage, the audience won't know the difference...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
Have there been any worthwhile advances in bass technology in the last 40 years? 

Not much has changed from the principle of the P Bass as laid down by Leo. Most of today's basses still adhere to that scale and I wouldn't call things such as active electronics, piezo bridges, B strings, materials other than wood and headless creations groundbreaking advances. Most basses are still made of wood, have four strings and a headstock, are long scale and passive.

It's different with amplification I think, a small combo today can blow away a sixties or early seventies rig four times the size and 10 times the weight.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
If you are not able to get something that appoximates your sound (enough to fool 90% of the world population) over a run-of-the-mill bass and amp, you should seek counseling.

That may one of the best statements ever offered on this forum.

I continually marvel over the amount of fussing and obsessing musicians invest in things which aren't audible to anyone but them - and then, only in their minds.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
Entwistle sounds interesting on any bass. And some people sound boring on any bass. I'm still Uwe Hornung when I play a P Bass, I'm probably even a bit more agressive in my playing (or it comes out that way) than if I play a TBird (which has kind of a soothing influence on me). But the longer I play, the more I realize that gear - as long as it works and has a minimum quality - has only a miniscule part to do with how you sound and what you project.
Let's not end up like guitarists, those sorry creatures that believe their identity is determined by "their" guitar and "their" amp. The look of dread you see on guitarists' faces when you propose to them "well, you might play over someone else's amp, you know ..." always cracks me up. If you are not able to get something that appoximates your sound (enough to fool 90% of the world population) over a run-of-the-mill bass and amp, you should seek counseling.
Yes, I'm a nerdy Gibson bass collector, but I would hate to think that they define my playing. I can have as much fun on a Yamaha or Ibanez.
Uwe

This past weekend I went to Richmond to see Southern Culture On The Skids play for the millionth time. Rick Miller usually plays one of two or three guitars: an old Danelectro or a metalflake Gretsch. And you know, no matter which he's playing it sounds like RICK MILLER. To me, that is amazing and says volumes about his ability as a musician.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
That may one of the best statements ever offered on this forum.

I continually marvel over the amount of fussing and obsessing musicians invest in things which aren't audible to anyone but them - and then, only in their minds.

I agree with you Al, but I tend to fuss if my sound is less than about 75% of what I think it should be. Not because of how it sounds to the audience, or even so much how it sounds to me but mostly due to how it makes my strings feel to my fingers. If I haven't got a sound in that top 25% then the touch is below a level that I am happy to ignore. It becomes a distraction from playing freely and in doing so becomes hardwork as opposed to good fun.

These days for me its about fun  :)

That said, I rarely have to fuss too much before my sound is good enough for me. (Bad sound engineers aside).

Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »
I'm a heathen, Bret, et al... probably because I've never worked out of the bar circuit, and then the "low-end" (sorry Billy) of the market... The Hiwatt has everything on full, except the output volume... if I want a bit more treble, I use a pick; a rounder sound, the fingers; chords, mostly the nails, a-la-Clarke... none of the basses have any tone controls...

Works for me and each to their own...  ;)

ps... the first (band-member) person who tells me how to play gets burnt at the stake...  :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
How and what you decide to play is what makes your sound Ken. Thankfully we are (mostly) all different.
Digresion our specialty!