Author Topic: Lull pickups in LP bass?  (Read 1099 times)

Geoffzilla

• View Profile
Lull pickups in LP bass?
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
Does anyone know if this will work without serious modifications?  I have a recent Les Paul bass with the chrome pickups.  One of the things that keeps it from getting played more often (besides weight!) is that the humbuckers are really noisy in some rooms. 
Also, I'm just curious to know how they would change the sound of the instrument. 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Lull pickups in LP bass?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
 I don't know what size the pup cavity routs are in your LP but Lull pickups are dimensionally the same as '63 Thunderbird ones. They're very thin at 1/2" tall and have a wonderful vintage growly tone I LOVE THEM ! The price is a little scarey at $289.00 each an 30.00 for the ring if you need one, but if you were trying to buy a vintage 'Bird pup you'd pay way more.
Here's a pic of one before I mounted it to my BaCH Thunderbird hope it helps some, happy to answer any questions I can.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:54:37 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
If you have an LP Bass with chrome pups, then it can only be a Standard and that had guitar humbucker size TB Plus pups, so the Lulls won't fit without major routing.

It is strange that your bass is noisy. I've heard of noisy TB Plus soapbars (and have one or two basses thus afflicted), but never of noisy chrome TB Plus pups in that guitar size.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
Maybe you've got faulty wiring or/and shielding, I would change them before I would change pickups.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Uwe is correct about the size. The Lulls won't fit.

There are other bass pickups in guitar humbucker size, such as the Rio Grande Pitbull.  But yours shouldn't be noisy, I would have all the electronics checked out before changing pickups.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
It's not like those small chromies were budget pups, they were Gibson's top of the line and reserved for the most expensive models.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »
If you find the pickups are responsible for the noise and you want a 60's T'bird sounding pickup these might be the ones you're looking for. I believe Scott has knowledge about them: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=30_57&products_id=428

Geoffzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:22:47 AM »
Hmmm.  Okay then, not a direct replacement. Oh well. It is odd that the humbuckers are noisy. I have spent a long time trying to figure out why.  I'm lucky enough to live in the same city as Phil Jones ( lp standard designer) and he looked it over.  Seemed to think everything checked out. No faulty electronics. I'll look into the Lindy Fralins.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:34:23 AM by Geoffzilla »