Author Topic: Earthwood prototype?  (Read 3705 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Earthwood prototype?
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:31:05 AM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Earthwood prototype?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »
I wouldn't call that a prototype, just a transitional model.

He's dreaming of a green Christmas. I don't think so.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
Hmm.........I wonder what my 1972 model is worth. I had an adjustable bridge custom made for it that cost almost what the bass did. The bridge was the weak point on those. Mine is one out of about 400 produced according to Sterling Ball , and my bridge is the only one that was ever made .
Rick

nofi

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
i thought this thing looked familiar. it was up last week for 6,999. and no one bid. i guess that was before he found out it was the super rare, one off, transitional touchstone that it has now become. :P

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
Take a look at this Earthwood guitar, it's actually marked as a prototype, and look at the price he's asking: http://www.gbase.com/gear/earthwood-prototype-1970

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:06 PM »
Confuscious, he say, "Nun on crowns back, virgin on lidiculous..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
Relisted with no reserve, now at $449, with five days to go.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
"The Crown jewel in the realm of legendary Earthwood Bass Guitars"

Legendary for miserably poor sales? Legendary for construction problems in the first production runs? Legendary for lack of acoustic volume compared to an upright bass?

At least he omitted the reserve, now the market will decide.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »
They may lack volume when compared to an upright but there is no other ABG I've come across that comes close in volume. The tone is also unmatched.
I've played a lot of ABGs and newer ones have a lot more usable room at the 12th fret and they are smaller bodied making them more comfortable to hold but when in comes to unplugged sound, there is nothing like an Earthwood.
I also have an Olympia (Korean Tacoma) which is great for plugged in and pretty good unplugged. It is a plywood bass and it lacks the resonance of the solid wood original Tacoma , but bang for the buck, it can't be beat.
The only other ABGs out there that  produce a really good volume and tone unplugged IMO are the Tacoma and the old Guilds (which suffer the same size and playability issues of the Earthwood).
Earthwoods are something special in spite of their issues ;D
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
I agree, I was just having fun with his over-the-top hype.

nofi

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »
speaking of abgs, does anyone remember the all mahogany thunderchiefs someone was selling a few years ago. the entire bass was solid mahogany. it was a pretty bass with all that dark wood and some lighter highlights. i can't seem to find any info on it. ???

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:08 AM »
I saw a picture of one  ;D. I believe I saw a picture of one that was all maple also. IIRC both were pretty fancied up and pretty pricey and the comments about them were favorable but the guy who played them preferred the less expensive plain jane Thunderchief.
 Around the Detroit area Tacomas are near nonexistant. When I was on a quest to get my Olympia I found one Olympia and one Tacoma and neither place carries either one anymore. I have only SEEN two Olympias and two Tacomas.
Rick

nofi

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
the only place around hear that you can find thunderchiefs is at the high end BASS EMPORIUM. they even have red and blue ones. ??? other than that i have seen one thunderchief and one olympia, period. in atlanta we have three sitar centers, a sam ash and lots of independent stores but the inventory is weak. do you have any idea where used basses go to die because they cetainly are not in stores like they used to be.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
It has been re-listed at $2,025 starting price.  A note of near-sanity has intruded.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »
the only place around hear that you can find thunderchiefs is at the high end BASS EMPORIUM. they even have red and blue ones. ??? other than that i have seen one thunderchief and one olympia, period. in atlanta we have three sitar centers, a sam ash and lots of independent stores but the inventory is weak. do you have any idea where used basses go to die because they cetainly are not in stores like they used to be.

I think used basses go to ebay to die ;D.  It seems like the majority of  used REAL brand name basess do not show up in music stores. All you find is various shades of Brand X in the used department and used ABGs are about as close to zero as you can get. 
Rick