Author Topic: Thanks, guys!  (Read 3866 times)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
Thanks, guys!
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
    Hey guys,  I have been producing chrome replica T-Bird 60's pickup covers for over three years now, and I REALLY DO appreciate those of you who have purchased them. And I'm proud to say that every one of you have been satisfied with my pickups or chrome covers you have sent to Duncans Custom Shop to get the replica innards done to 60's specs. Hats off to Mike Lull Guitars, for finding the original dies to make the original 60's style stamped pickup covers. Many of us die hards here, many from the old Dude Pit, have researched making dies (at 35K to get it done!!!) and have tried EVERYTHING to get the original 60's style covers made to replicate our beloved 60's T-Bird pickups.
   I found a gifted machinist to replicate them, but the cost was very high, and rightly so. Machining a part that was originally stamped is a work of art. But still, at minimal profit, I was able to offer them to 'my bros' at the forum.  The price was high but nobody EVER bitched.  I'm very proud that I was able to try to fill that gap between an original and a quality repro when nobody had anything to offer.  THANK YOU to you all that purchased my covers and pickups. In the end, I probably broke even, but that's OK.  Mike Lull has found the "holy grail' in finding the original dies for our beloved 60's T-Bird pickups. It's what we all dreamed of a long time ago, to find those dies, or find somebody who could make them for not a kings ransom!  I still make my 60's exact repro bridges. And, Scott Dasson still makes his 'intonation without modification' T-bird bridges for those of you who have an original 60's 'Bird that doesn't intonate, or want an extended travel two point bridge. THANKS to you all for your support!!!!   
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Thanks, guys!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
 Tony I always admired your determination to get the covers done and in producing such a high quality product. I can totally relate to the breaking even thing lol . At this point Mike Lull has not made any units for sale so we may still need your parts ! One never knows how things will work out.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:05:18 PM »
     Thanks, Scott, you of all people know what it takes to get these custom made parts done, and thanks for the compliment.  Scott, you are a class act. To all here, Scott GAVE ME an Allparts tailpiece that I needed to get one of my bridges sold and refused payment for shipping or anything. We aren't competitors, we are friends. If I have an old 'Bird that won't intonate, I'm buying a bridge from Scott, as did Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick!  Such is the friendship level and great brotherhood here at the forum.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
The Brother Hood has Taken Over!

I don't there is anything that can't or hasn't gotten done by the guys here. A level of dedication & perfection that Gibson never had.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »
Tony  i was happy to do it. Btw George Carlston (OldmanC) gave it to me so i was just returning the kindness show me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:50:16 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »
Both of you guys have made some Ass Kicking $h!T!!!! Covers????? Fantastic!!! Scott, your Bridges are astounding!!!! It is a blessing when people can work together to help each other out at restoring or custom building a Gibson Thunderbird bass, the way they SHOULD be made today but unfortunately aren't. NOTHING, I tell you, Nothing beats the tune-o-matic bass bridges and the Chrome/Nickel pickups. And let's not forget Dr. Bassman's tailpieces and Scott's Guards!!!!!  Well, gotta run. Off to work early so I can touch up my 65 Bird!!!!!! :)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:45:10 AM »
I must add that Tony Carl was one of the first guys I met here and has always been a great friend, even when I did some dumb trades. His covers are Fantastic!!! He KNOWS T birds. Trust Me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »
The Dasson Labs "endless intonation" bridge is indeed a technological masterpiece. It compensates not only bridge-to-saddle string length, but also some of Scott's more venial sins (turning an EB-4 into a -3, Badass bridges, DiMarzio G pups, questionable woodwork with TBirds, the list really goes on and on and on ...).  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »
The Dasson Labs "endless intonation" bridge is indeed a technological masterpiece.

You would think this was made in Germany, it's that good.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »
We haven't delved deep in Scott's ancestors yet. With German blood being the largest immigrant minority in the US (outsizing English, Italians, Irish, Polish and Hispanics), who knows what we might find? 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
Well my Dads name was Fritz ;)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
   Your replies are heartfelt. Joe, you and I are good buds, and I appreciate your compliments and your friendship. I went to Chicago many moons ago to do a trade with him for a '66 T-Bird and a '64 P-Bass, and after many hours of shootin' the shit and playing great vintage basses , I realized it was 1:00 AM and had a three hour + drive back home. He graciously let me stay at his house so I didn't have to endure the drive.  You guys RAWK!!!  This forum, mostly comprised of the old Dudepit guys, is very special to me and I consider it my 'home forum', as many of you do. It would be GREAT to create a 'get together' in a central location so we could all meet each other. What an event (and party) that would be!!!

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »
 Oh, I forgot you, Uwe. It would be an LONG trip for you to hook up with us!  Anybody into a road trip to Germany?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

He needs a visit from Fraulein Rommel.............For that matter we should all fly to Germany -  After all it is ze Land of Gibson basses......and beer   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
Scott and Tony were my inspiration too! I never would have gone after my machinist, who's slower than Christmas, to make the tail pieces. Scott tried to warn me when I first mentioned my idea. thanks for the great covers and bridges. they are great!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!