Author Topic: Maybe I'm just paranoid...  (Read 1931 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Maybe I'm just paranoid...
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
But the one headstock photo of this P-Bass that doesn't look color manipulated looks like a modern MIM Fender neck to me. The whole bass looks "partsy" to me.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Maybe I'm just paranoid...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:29:45 AM »
Hard to say, looks like a legit early '80s P to me. Way to much money imho. However early 80's P basses we a improvement in QC from the late 70's, tighter neck pockets, no drum sander marks in the body on the treble side, better finish etc. The white covers are correct for early 80's.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Wow. I felt guilty asking (and getting) $600 for mine in 2006. IMHO the white cover pickups weren't old school tone at all.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
This is actually an oddball if it is legit.  The body, pickguard and neck (not biflex) are 1981-82 construction, but it sports the later 83-85 decal.  It will probably be a 70s style B neck, and under the guard have the P-Bass Special top routing and grounding screw.  The thumb rest is in the "wrong" place, but they were shipped uninstalled then.  It is a tad high to me, but the late 70s ones are going that way, and this is pretty much the same animal.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
The thumb rest is def. owner installed.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
The thumb rest is def. owner installed.

Didn't the thumb rest screw directly through the pg? For an '82 I would have expected the headstock to have some discoloration. It looks kinda new to me.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
I don't think any thumbrests were supplied this late, this looks to be owner-installed further out than the traditional position.

The newer looking headstock is probably just too much light from the flash. The bass doesn't look like it's been played much, and having owned one of these, I'm not surprised.

These had 11-screw pickguards instead of the usual 13, this appears to be the original.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
Somewhere in 81/82 they stopped installing the covers and thumbrest, but they still shipped with them.  The vintage reissues did as well, but they had the holes drilled for the covers.  The standards did not.  When the Biflex rods show up, the covers dissapear.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.