Author Topic: Howsabout a cheap Japanese EB-2 wannabe?  (Read 2443 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Howsabout a cheap Japanese EB-2 wannabe?
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
This actually ISN'T from Craigslist.  I saw this bass while I was checking out the website Nashville Used Music. I always try to stop in there every time I'm in Nashvegas. I've bought tons of gear there over the years and they have a really neat oddball inventory and killer prices. I have an Ampeg V4, SVT cabinet, AMP preamp and other stuff I can't even remember that came from there. I have no affiliation other than as a customer.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Howsabout a cheap Japanese EB-2 wannabe?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
It could be okay. I've only played a couple of Conrad basses, one a Beatle bass and one a Tele-style short scale. They were reasonably well made for 70s Japanese basses but both had high action. If you do check it out in person, it might be a good deal at that price. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
Didn't Dr. Bassman do an extensive rehab of a Conrad a couple of years ago??

But from one look at it, I can tell you:

It's a Matsumoku product, the bridge, tuners and tailpiece are the same as used on Univox and Lyle, and the pickup is ditto - I've seen that pickup in Univox, Lyle and Epiphone guitars.  The pickguard is as much a dead giveaway as are the bridge, tuners, pickup and tailpiece. There is no doubt this is a Matsumoku product.  That's good, because that factory was the best in Japan.

Based on my Univox - which is its brother - you can expect good woodwork, a fairly thick poly finish, a decent but not Gibson-like period sound, pots that need cleaning, and possibly one or more frets that need a slight leveling.  Check the neck for twist, but most are OK.  Given that it is considered vintage if not very collectible, mine is a pleasure to own.  The finish and wood on mine are gorgeous.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:19:23 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:06:30 AM »
Now that you mention the Univox connection, I see that the pickup looks like the ones they put on their Hofner copies. The best sounding and playing "Beatle-bass" I ever played, including real Hofners, was a greenburst Univox with a pickup like that.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:38:22 AM »
i learned to play with a univox beatle bass. i really loved it but it was a loaner and the owner wouldn't sell it to me. back then the short scale neck was a non issue. how times have changed.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »
It could be okay. I've only played a couple of Conrad basses, one a Beatle bass and one a Tele-style short scale. They were reasonably well made for 70s Japanese basses but both had high action. If you do check it out in person, it might be a good deal at that price. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen though.

many japanese bassies from that era had action issues.  almost always a bridge issue that can be fixed with some woodworking...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:47 AM »
Love my Douglas "EB-2", I leave my Gibson at home.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
many japanese bassies from that era had action issues.  almost always a bridge issue that can be fixed with some woodworking...

A small shim and some bridge adjustment really brought my Univox around....

The wood is beautiful...

Incidentally, the neck plate is another Matsumoku giveaway - the stamped "Steel Reinforced Neck" and the font are in common with every other bass I have seen from that factory.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
did somebody say "cheap Jap. EB?"

The ad the OP posted is gone, but I'm assuming it's like my "Conqueror".

Mine is pretty warped, the action is high and the binding is coming off where the neck joint is (I think the top is coming off) and of course it doesn't SOUND like an EB. It does sound pretty cool though, the (mahogany) neck is straight and it feels like it weighs about 2 pounds. I like it, despite it's flaws.
And my Hofner looks JUST like the Univox above.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!