Author Topic: Rap and Slap Bass  (Read 9282 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Rap and Slap Bass
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
Can't watch Jimmy Fallon b/c of that gawdawful hip-hop house band he has.

...and that's the ONLY part of his show that I can stand. I really like the Roots. Jimmy, OTOH, is a clueless, talentless idiot who probably has kneepads to thank for his career. He can't even cut a ten second ID where only the station call letters change. It took twenty minutes via satellite to get ONE good take from him in the can when he was first promoting his show.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
...and that's the ONLY part of his show that I can stand. I really like the Roots. Jimmy, OTOH, is a clueless, talentless idiot who probably has kneepads to thank for his career. He can't even cut a ten second ID where only the station call letters change. It took twenty minutes via satellite to get ONE good take from him in the can when he was first promoting his show.

I don't think he's funny, and he seems much more full of himself than most stars. OTOH there are sometimes good guests. I'd rather watch Craig Ferguson anyway.

Chaser001

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
That is actually true. Women are attracted to slap bass. Much to my chagrin, even edith is. "It sounds so virtuoso!" Good grief.

My pet theory is that women automatically allude that if you are good with your thumb on those strings then you won't be doing too bad elesewhere. Yes, my brethren, that is the disenchanting truth.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »
I'd rather watch Craig Ferguson anyway.

...what I'm doing right now.  ;)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
This thread reminded me of a clip I'd seen of Abe Laboriel with Lee Ritenour (ack! that stuff didn't age well for me).  Just sharing it for the sheer spectacle of someone slapping on an 8-string bass  :o  (forward to 4:48)

I do like that guy (Abe), though.  He gets down.

Here's some rap bass I like too, while I'm at it.  The irony is that its the Beastie Boys... and there are no raps!  :)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:38:58 PM by chromium »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
I'd rather watch Craig Ferguson anyway.

I'd rather watch old Johnny Carson DVDs.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »
This thread reminded me of a clip I'd seen of Abe Laboriel with Lee Ritenour (ack! that stuff didn't age well for me).  Just sharing it for the sheer spectacle of someone slapping on an 8-string bass  :o  (forward to 4:48)

I do like that guy (Abe), though.  He gets down.

Ack indeed, that was so clean stuff, no funk left there at all.

I like slap bass when it sounds dirty and funky, like on this:

Larry Graham w/ a Fender Jazz

Or this:

Larry Johnson w/ a Ric 4001

My fav is still the slippery sound and weird style of the late Doug Rauch:

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 01:09:35 AM »
How about this sucker?

Not rap but very early (1971) double-thumbin' from Douglas Rauch and quite different from what Larry Graham was doing at that time.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
What I'm about to write is going to sound really lame, short sighted, selfish and ignorant.

Although I like slap bass in funk, what I really hate about slap bass is that when you go to stores to check out basses, everyone in there is trying out the basses by slapping them.

If I get a new bass the first thing friends do when they try it out is slapping it.

It immediately pisses me off. I roll my eyes and want to snatch the bass out of their hands.

Pretty shallow, I know.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:59 AM »
I feel with you. When my Fender playing buddy here grabs one of my Gibsons he always slaps while I gasp for air!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:40 AM »
I feel with you. When my Fender playing buddy here grabs one of my Gibsons he always slaps while I gasp for air!!!

Ugh, I cannot imagine how much that makes you cringe!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 05:00:07 AM »
What I'm about to write is going to sound really lame, short sighted, selfish and ignorant.

Although I like slap bass in funk, what I really hate about slap bass is that when you go to stores to check out basses, everyone in there is trying out the basses by slapping them.

If I get a new bass the first thing friends do when they try it out is slapping it.

It immediately pisses me off. I roll my eyes and want to snatch the bass out of their hands.

Pretty shallow, I know.

Yessss!   YESSS!  hit the nail on the head. I love slapping when it has a purpose like in a Wooten solo or in a Larry Graham groove. These have context and purpose. They are both about using a technique that suits the song and I find them both melodic and musical. Mark King from Level 42 on the other hand and quite a few other guilty parties are so percussive that I just get bored and switch off. As my favourite drummer Jack says "Same, just different". Rap/Hip Hop on the other hand    ....to paraphrase Dave, I know what I like and I dont like that. 
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 05:22:52 AM »

Pretty shallow, I know.

This is exactly the way I feel ;D

Rick

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
I like to slap every now and again. (Much less than I used to)

There will always be haters - pay them no heed!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNegOg6dOM&feature=relatedthis guy brings the funk and may have been known to slap occasionaly -he mixes up his techniques and sounds some though-going back a few posts-that version of ashes to ashes had me wishing that gail ann dorsey would rip the bass out of that fellas hands and show him how to do it right.seemed a bit square peg in around hole to me, i liked the understated popping in the original.whatever gets you to the bridge.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:27:40 AM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.