Author Topic: It's all about the new stuff...  (Read 2438 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
It's all about the new stuff...
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
The last couple of years have been quite cathartic for me from a bass perspective.  I'm in a pop/punky band that I love (Nancy Johnson...check 'em out at www.nancyjohnson.co.uk) and my desire for Thunderbirds had been all but satiated.  

Almost two years ago to the day I landed a white TB, swiftly followed by a super rare Hamer FBIV.  This summer following a clearout of a Bongo and a Lakland DJ5, I landed a lovely black TB and had funds enough to order one of the NR reissues.  Today though I've landed my holy grail in a minty TB Gothic.  

It was Uwe that set me on my way here answering some questions about the model and when one came on sale over here in the UK, I landed it for a not unreasonable for the UK price of £900/$1430 and collect it Sunday morning.  Woop!

Pictures to follow!
P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:47:24 PM by planetgaffnet »
The future I come from no longer exists.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: It's all about the new stuff...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
I excel at being a bad influence.  Nothing is more gratifying than tarnished virtue. :vader:

And I have severe competition here!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
I excel at being a bad influence.  Nothing is more gratifying than tarnished virtue. :vader:

And I have severe competition here!

;D

You're a bad influence on me too!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »
Aren't you a bit dark already for successful tarnishing?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
... I'm in a pop/punky band that I love ...

Good grief... almost local... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 02:24:22 AM »
Good grief... almost local... :o

Playing in Staines next Sunday...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
That's what I meant... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
OK, ignoring Herb's response (see you Sunday mate, Oceans, Staines, 8.00pm), I picked up the Gothic today.

OK the positive stuff first.  It's a minty Feb/2006.  The guy I bought it from said that at the time he bought this new, he saw one for sale in a guitar shop locally (here in the UK) for £1,899/$3,000, so for my purchase price of well under half this, I suppose you could say I got a bargain.  Pickups seem to have a higher output than my other two TBs and marginally phatter in tone too.  Good body/neck balance.  Finish is very nice...the mahogany hasn't been filled and the black finish shows the grain, which is particularly pleasing where the neck is concerned.  Neck profile/radius is bigger than both my other two.  It still had the plastic on the rear control cavity cover.

OK, the bad stuff.  The three point bridge sucks, but that's par for the course...I can't decide whether to put a Supertone on it or leave it original, but I can't get the action down and further.  The neck pickup is set so tight against the body rout, adjustment is nigh impossible, so I took it out and put some foam in the raise it up and have screwed it down to my preference.  Amusingly, one of the springs that assists in the raising/lowering of the pickups was missing.  Also the screws in both pickups sit well proud of the pickups.  The machine heads were crooked too (the E & A tuner leafs actually touched each other when rotated), but I've sorted that now.  Sigh. 

Anyhow, I've given it a full set up and new boots and I'm pretty pleased...I shall be gigging it next Sunday.  Pics to follow if anyone is interested!

Paul

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
I'm interested in pics  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
OK, ignoring Herb's response (see you Sunday mate, Oceans, Staines, 8.00pm), I picked up the Gothic today.

OK the positive stuff first.  It's a minty Feb/2006.  The guy I bought it from said that at the time he bought this new, he saw one for sale in a guitar shop locally (here in the UK) for £1,899/$3,000, so for my purchase price of well under half this, I suppose you could say I got a bargain.  Pickups seem to have a higher output than my other two TBs and marginally phatter in tone too.  Good body/neck balance.  Finish is very nice...the mahogany hasn't been filled and the black finish shows the grain, which is particularly pleasing where the neck is concerned.  Neck profile/radius is bigger than both my other two.  It still had the plastic on the rear control cavity cover.

OK, the bad stuff.  The three point bridge sucks, but that's par for the course...I can't decide whether to put a Supertone on it or leave it original, but I can't get the action down and further.  The neck pickup is set so tight against the body rout, adjustment is nigh impossible, so I took it out and put some foam in the raise it up and have screwed it down to my preference.  Amusingly, one of the springs that assists in the raising/lowering of the pickups was missing.  Also the screws in both pickups sit well proud of the pickups.  The machine heads were crooked too (the E & A tuner leafs actually touched each other when rotated), but I've sorted that now.  Sigh. 

Anyhow, I've given it a full set up and new boots and I'm pretty pleased...I shall be gigging it next Sunday.  Pics to follow if anyone is interested!

Paul

One question: Is the neck two ply (like on mine) or nine ply?

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
One reason why I had to vanish for the most part these past couple years.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
One question: Is the neck two ply (like on mine) or nine ply?

Uwe
It looks like it's three ply...there's a clearly visible core of around 2.3cm in the raised central section on the body that becomes barely visible as it runs along the back of the neck, before returning on the rear of the headstock.  Hopefully, this photo will help (I'll take more when I have better light...the raised section edges are visible bottom left/top right of the shot:

...and a Gibson family shot (the Hamer FBIV was in another room sulking):

And yes, that is a bird feeder stuck on the window.

Best
Paul

aproud1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »

...and a Gibson family shot (the Hamer FBIV was in another room sulking):

And yes, that is a bird feeder stuck on the window.

Best
Paul

That creme colored Tbird is sweet! They are all nice but I haven't seen that color combo compared to others.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

Pickups seem to have a higher output than my other two TBs and marginally phatter in tone too.

It looks like it's three ply...there's a clearly visible core of around 2.3cm in the raised central section on the body that becomes barely visible as it runs along the back of the neck, before returning on the rear of the headstock.  Hopefully, this photo will help (I'll take more when I have better light...the raised section edges are visible bottom left/top right of the shot:

My Nikki Sixx  Blackbird has the same features - three ply neck, and hotter/fatter pickups. Sounds like you got a keepr there!