Author Topic: 5 Allman Brothers Deep Cuts  (Read 332 times)

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Allman Brothers Deep Cuts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
Do I need to feel bad if I say I like Jessica and Ramblin' Man and preferred the Dreams version of these guys here ...

I know, one post to ruin what remnants of musical credibility I ever had!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 12:29:02 AM »
It wouldn't bother me if someone preferred the Molly Hatchet version.  As much as I like the Allman Brothers, I do think sometimes they can get a little overrated.  On the other hand, Molly Hatchet can get underrated.  As for musical credibility, I don't take that seriously anymore.  When I was younger, I think maybe I did.  But as I've gotten older, I find people disagreeing more than agreeing with me about music.  I've accepted that my taste isn't mainstream.  That may be good or it may be bad.  I really don't know. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:08:28 AM »
I like Hatchet's early line-ups, but their musical vision is certainly not in the realm of the Allmans. I just like how they treated that particular song.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 08:11:52 AM »
I like Hatchet's early line-ups, but their musical vision is certainly not in the realm of the Allmans. I just like how they treated that particular song.

I never listened to Molly Hatchet much.  But through the years I've gotten the impression from time to time that maybe they weren't quite getting the credit they were due.  It's just a subjective judgment.  As for the Allman Brothers, when I was growing up, people often spoke of them and the Beatles in the same breath-especially people who were musicians.  I now realize that the Allman Brothers weren't gods, but they were certainly close enough. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »
I liked that improvisational trance the Allmans could play themselves and their audience into on a good night. In a way, Hatchet were as a guitar army too disciplined and rehearsed to ever achieve that, their music wasn't loose enough.

The Allmans, through all their line-ups, were more a collective under a common musical banner/philosophy than a band in a strict sense. That made them special.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »
I've got a lot out of their music through the years.  They were a unique band.  The "Trouble No More" 5 CD set I bought earlier in the year was a necessary purchase. 

--Blaise Pascal