Author Topic: The Bass on Abbey Road  (Read 1363 times)

westen44

• View Profile
The Bass on Abbey Road
« on: April 29, 2022, 10:41:00 PM »
If you're interested in the bass on Abbey Road, here it is.  How accurate the writer of this article is, I'm not sure.  He is obviously not a bassist, but apparently is some kind of musician.  Most likely a guitarist.  He also doesn't seem to be aware that George Harrison played bass on a few of the Abbey Road tracks.  Still, I found the article worth reading and I'm going to listen to all those isolated tracks the first chance I get (which will probably be soon.)

https://www.openculture.com/2022/04/hear-the-beatles-abbey-road-with-only-paul-mccartneys-bass.html
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The Bass on Abbey Road
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 11:03:20 PM »
Thanks. I'll listen when I have more time.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 01:00:58 AM »
Thanks. I'll listen when I have more time.

You're welcome.  I wish I knew for sure which songs George played on.  I'm still looking into that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 03:16:07 AM »
   McCartney is the master of rock bass no doubt about it,  many giants stand on his shoulders maybe not even realizing it.  As much as I  love Jim Lea, Entwhistle etc. Paul McCartney is always my first on my list of influences.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:58:50 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
How about 8 hours and 37 minutes of just the bass on ALL their catalog

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 05:26:47 PM »
How about 8 hours and 37 minutes of just the bass on ALL their catalog

Wow!  I haven't even got through Abbey Road. 

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 05:54:02 AM »
Abbey Road is fun. Years ago I learned it and played along with the album. His best bass work imho.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 12:36:04 PM »
Abbey Road is fun. Years ago I learned it and played along with the album. His best bass work imho.
After running across the isolated tracks, that has got me interested in learning it.  But Paul McCartney said somewhere in an interview he thought his bass on Sgt. Pepper was the best.  The Sgt. Pepper album was what inspired me to learn bass.  I'm not so much of a fan of the album itself compared to other Beatles albums, but the bass is great. 

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
The important lesson is to be found in Paul McCartney's sense of harmony and how he composed bass lines. I will never understand why people squabble about whether the dull thump on a specific track came from a Jazz Bass, Ricky or Hofner.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 01:13:56 PM »
The important lesson is to be found in Paul McCartney's sense of harmony and how he composed bass lines. I will never understand why people squabble about whether the dull thump on a specific track came from a Jazz Bass, Ricky or Hofner.

Based on what I've read about that (which is limited) it seems to often be J bass devotees wanting it to be a Jazz.  However, in this particular case (Abbey Road) I think they got their wish.  I think Paul was playing a Jazz and George was playing his, too.  Personally, I like the way Paul's Rickenbacker sounded with Wings the best.  In the case of the Beatles, as often as not they seem to be unsure which songs the Ric was used on.  I've never got involved in all that minutiae. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:14:19 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »

Thank you very much!!  If it sounds good, I don't care for endless speculation about what bass was used.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02:40 AM »
   McCartney is the master of rock bass no doubt about it,  many giants stand on his shoulders maybe not even realizing it.  As much as I  love Jim Lea, Entwhistle etc. Paul McCartney is always my first on my list of influences.

Man, how I can relate, Scott! It's incredible (and somewhat unsettling) how much I still sound like him to this day. I never consciously emulated his style - I concentrated on people more in a hard rock vein such as Simper, Glover, Hughes (the DP Holy Trinity of Bassists), Martin Turner, Alan Lancaster, Gene Simmons and Jim Lea (though all of them cite Macca as an influence as well) - but otoh there has never been a time since my childhood when I did not enjoy listening to the Beatles.

I've always had a strong pop influence in my playing, my bass lines are largely melodic and give me half a chance to play the third rather than the root or the fifth, then I'll do it! McCartney'isms are littered all over my playing though I have never covered more than perhaps half a dozen Beatles songs in my life.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 02:19:55 PM »
I'm struck by how much of an influence Paul McCartney had on Roger Waters' early playing. The Syd-era Pink Floyd stuff is awash with busy, florid bass lines. They don't always land as well as Paul's, and sometimes seem a bit too thematic in their execution, but the feel is there. Weird that Roger became less and less inventive as a player over time.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 04:26:12 AM »
I saw Waters a couple of years ago doing his The Wall thing (my wife loves that album, I myself prefer the Wish You Were here/Animals era, The Wall is to me a Waters solo album with the other guys guesting) and I was surprised that he's quite a heavy-handed player. Not in a bad way, but he digs in hard when playing bass, no professional experience ease about it. My guess is also that he must prefer high action on his instruments. He "works" the bass.

He has anchoring authority in his playing though, but supple he ain't.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 09:05:33 AM »
To paraphrase John Lennon on Ringo: Roger Waters wasn't even the best bass player in Pink Floyd. But he wrote some masterpieces.