Author Topic: Heads up  (Read 14522 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Heads up
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
This $1099 Les Paul gold top seems to have a nice finish, as did all the six strings in the $1000 neighborhood.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/xl/1600-LPSTUGKCH-13_detail1.jpg

They should be able to do this on a Thunderbird.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

Think of it this way, have any of your unlaquered fretboards (just about anything rosewood or ebony that isn't a Ric) been damaged by your sweating?  Those are just oiled.

Yup, that EB-0 I just got from ebay - I pulled the frets out with my nails :)

Seriously, rosewood is a quite different wood - and has it´s own ´oiliness´. I´m not at all an experienced finisher,
and can´t really compare it to mahogany in correct technical terms.

Naturally, any wood can, by the right craftsman, be oiled OR painted or whatever to look great.
My point  was that open pores is not my cup of tea, wether its an oil or laquer finish.
I´ve seen many good looking oil basses, and some not so good looking project basses with oil right on top
of bare wood.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
Re: the 50th anniversary bird... the pics might be somewhat deceiving.  It's obvious that the grain wasn't filled prior to finishing, but the end result is buried in clear and buffed out.  The outer surface was totally flat and smooth (at least on the specimen that I handled), and those imperfections underneath give it kind of a cool distressed look and "depth". 

Not saying it's right or wrong, or to everyone's taste - but I thought it was kinda cool up close.  Also, the bass that I got to play is light, resonant, and just feels fantastic to me.  I'd have been skeptical too from photos alone, but handing it really left a favorable impression.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
I'm really happy with the 50th Anniversary model that I have. My wife bought it for me as a surprise 50th birthday present and I really am enjoying it. It is light weight and sounds almost like my 2001 ebony Bird (Still my favorite). The finish is not quite smooth everywhere (it is a Gibson after all), but the sort of distressed looking gold finish is quite nice. Almost everyone has made positive comments about how they like the character of the finish with the wood grain showing. If the finish looked as ragged as some of those pictures indicate, I would probably return it, gift or not.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »
This $1099 Les Paul gold top seems to have a nice finish, as did all the six strings in the $1000 neighborhood.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/xl/1600-LPSTUGKCH-13_detail1.jpg

They should be able to do this on a Thunderbird.

If you're thinking that's a smooth gloss finish due to the sides being gloss, don't be deceived. The goldtop Studios have a satin top. The other regular Studio colors are gloss top.

The couple I've seen up close were nicer than the photos of the gold T-bird and EB Bass. Guitars seem to get more care in finishing.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:56 AM »
That was my point.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Here's another example, an EB Bass. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-EB-Bass-Ebony-Monster-Tone-/231101710833?pt=Guitar&hash=item35cebc41f1

Look at a closeup of the first pic, in the light you can see how rippled it is. This may not have been sanded or buffed at all. Nothing like the smooth finish on my cheapo Melody Maker.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
So I showed GC the Sweetwater ad for the 50th AV TBIV for $1,499. They matched it as they advertize. Now that beauty is mine. I thought I had finished w/Thunderboids, but not after picking this one up. Perfectly balanced, resonant and light weight. No flaws. Someone was doing their QC spot on on this day. Sounds great too ( because of the finish!!!)
Now a word about this gold finish. I love this grainy gold. It's obvious and am sure it is intentional. It has a translucent quality. I would strongly suggest Uwe to have one of these in THE COLLIZiONE for more reasons than the finish. The only thing I would have preferred would be a different 'shade' of gold for the bridge and tuners, but can live with it. I have a Gold top Les Paul Signature and that is the Les Paul Gold. These 50ths are not meant to be the same as before. It seems Gibson is going for granier finishes for some of the newer models. I got a SG mahogany faded last year and it was grainy as hell and that was one of the qualities That sold it too me. Can't be too cncerned about the price point.
I understand Neepheld's passion for shiny dive in finishes. I also appreciate the fact that he is bringing back to life essentially a piece of 'driftwood' Ripper and is transforming it into an instrument fully to his tastes. Thats great and well done.

I think there are more where these new finishes came from and there are more to come.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
"I would strongly suggest Uwe to have one of these in THE COLLIZiONE for more reasons than the finish."

But what other reason is there? I like the look of these too, but there is zilch structural or hardware difference to any other current off-the-rack TB. You give me a good reason, I buy one! But finish can't be it, a man must live by his principles, only women and children can afford to be fickle. (Walks off stage in a huff pretentiously ...)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
Uwe: The pick guard! Just rhink as you march people through the trences of your collection you will stop at the end of one aisle and say..." after 50 years it all came to this." Please look carefully into this grain. Yes nothing structural but it is a nice way to transition into the next 50 years ( or days if they get the Navy Seals in)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »
"Uwe: The pick guard!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The devil sent you!!!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
I also recall another time you fell into temptation: Gibson SG Supreme. yes guitar of the week but no structural differences. Well perhaps we could consider the fact that it was a sandwich of which illegal woods, so you might have an argument. however if they were painted over you would have never known. We also do not really know what is under the hood of this 50th AV. You cannot afford to live with regrets. Think of the path you are blazing.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
"Uwe: The pick guard!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The devil sent you!!!

I was gonna say "the 12th fret inlay," but that works too. :vader:
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
"I would strongly suggest Uwe to have one of these in THE COLLIZiONE for more reasons than the finish."

But what other reason is there? I like the look of these too, but there is zilch structural or hardware difference to any other current off-the-rack TB. You give me a good reason, I buy one! But finish can't be it, a man must live by his principles, only women and children can afford to be fickle. (Walks off stage in a huff pretentiously ...)

It has a 3 piece neck. When did they start that?

Oh, the new walnut one has the 9 piece neck. There you go, a structural difference.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
My gold top Les Paul showed up Saturday and was put through the paces at rehearsal last night. Other than having to move the strap button to the heal (something I pretty much always do) I have no complaints.