Author Topic: Heads up  (Read 14520 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Heads up
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »

That should have read 'LIKE' the Chicago blue..that would be so sweet on a T-bird.  Makes you wonder why they could never spray a few in that color.  It's a tempting finish on that Les Paul.

I doubt it would look as good on mahogany. A maple top version would look great.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2013, 06:56:41 AM »
I knew it.. Sweetwater.  1499:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAT50BGGH-13/

Take it back to GC and tell them you found one from another store for $500 less. They might work with you, especially this time of year.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
New Gibsons for 2014. Scroll to the bottom on this link.
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/2014_gibson_usa_guitars.htm
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »
GIBSON, WILL YOU PLEASE FILL THE F'N GRAIN BEFORE YOU SPRAY YOUR EB BASSES?  That Bullion Gold finish ought to be uniformly shiny, like glass - I think the ash grain coming through without the visual cues of the grain being visible just looks cheap and careless, the antithesis of what gold is supposed to suggest.  I know you think you're being hip and clever, but look how lovely that shiny SG looks.  Look how the light dances off it.  Do that.  Apart from that, the gold EB looks fabulous until you zoom in.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
Gold EB? Where?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
I'll probably be in the minority on this but I actually like the black pickguard on it a lot more than the tortoise shell from the first years.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
I agree, the open grain of the ash just doesn't work with the gold.

Aside from that, most of the lineup changes for guitar and bass are small cosmetic differences.

Hörnisse

• View Profile

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
Something tells me that a cat got let out of a bag.  Cat has been returned to the bag.  Except they only binned the page and forgot to delete the images.

Voila!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
Look at the body shot of this Thunderbird. How much more would it cost to do it right?

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/111530322.php?CategoryID=242&n=1

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Wow, up close that looks rough!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
Look at the body shot of this Thunderbird. How much more would it cost to do it right?

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/111530322.php?CategoryID=242&n=1

Wow, up close that looks rough!

That's the way they're doing almost all the under-$1000 guitars and quite a few in the $1000-2000 range. The gold ones look especially awful.

It would probably add quite a bit to do a completely grain filled high gloss finish.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
That's the way they're doing almost all the under-$1000 guitars and quite a few in the $1000-2000 range. The gold ones look especially awful.

It would probably add quite a bit to do a completely grain filled high gloss finish.

Well, I'd have happily paid for shiny.  They've absolutely ruined what at a distance looks like the best EB ever, and it's supposed to be some sort of commemorative edition?  For shame.  Otherwise, is it not about time they looked into poly finishes if they're wanting to keep the cost down?  I'd rather have a poly finish than these ratty things that look like something I would have painted, with a brush, in the dark.  It just looks half-assed and so utterly amateur.  I'd be ashamed to let it out of my factory.  Is this the amount of fig that they give these days?  Gibson, what the /hell/ are you playing at?  Is this the age of austerity, applied in nitrocellulose form to your instruments?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2013, 05:45:51 AM »

For a 50th anniversary edition selling at a premium they should make the extra effort.