Author Topic: Short Scale basses  (Read 15928 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Short Scale basses
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 03:27:17 AM »
Sorry i forgot Andy Fraser in my list. Thought about it but forgot to mention...

i recorded most of the upcoming La La Lies album with my SG Reissue Bass cos it was the best sounding bass in studio.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
I only own a couple of short scales at the moment (SG RI, Dan Armstrong RI) because of the Stones tribute I play in.  Other than that, I would not deliberately buy one, as I definitely prefer the sound and playability of long scale (I have big hands).  That said, the SG RI is a great little bass, and the quality and tone are first rate.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Best use of the EB-3 prize goes to Andy Fraser in my universe ......  ;)
+1,000,000

I'm digging my EB-2, my S.D. Curlee and my G&L L-1000.  30, 32 and 34" respectively and my latest additions.  They sound very different from each other.  Got a Frankenstein 5 string with G & L pups coming next week.  Variety is the spice of life!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
I love short scales, got a bunch of them: EB-2, gretsch Thunder Jet, Vox, Les Paul Triumph, Guild M-85 scratch build.  They may not be big market basses, btu they have a unique sound and feel.  Variety is the spice of life!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
That one on the right....yeah.
Fleet Guitars

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
I think I have more short scales than long...

DeArmond Jetstar
Squire Bronco (Gretsch 2202 pickup)
Squier Jaguar
Gretsch 5123
Gretsch 2202  (think I'm selling this one now that I have the 1222)
Gretsch 1222
Univox 335-copy hollowbody
Gibson EB-0
Applause AE-40
Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass

On some of them, the E isn't quite as powerful as that on some of my 34" basses, but that's not a fatal flaw - it's a difference in the sound. It's a reason to rotate basses.

Dave's probably right that shorts scales are really a small part of the market, but there sure are a lot of them out there.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »
Hey guy's, your forgettin Allen Woody. He sure played some good stuff on short scales

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 08:54:22 AM »
And some modern bands: Both bassist of Arctic Monkeys played a Ricky 3000 for a while, The Zutons with an EB2 or Rivoli (*), Wolfmother with an Longhorn reissue, ...

But of course there are 1.000 bands with long scales for every band above.

(*) Zutons bass player plays now with Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds. I saw him on a pic with a Fender Jazz.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
I think I have more short scales than long...
I did too, until I realized I hardly play them any more. Love the sound but not the feel. Until recently I had 6 shorties - three 70's Musicmasters, two Mustangs, and the Orfeus Hebros (and in the past I had an EB2, Bass VI, Dano and numerous Hofners). Now I'm selling four and keeping just one Musicmaster (a really good one) and the Orfeus which serves as my sofa bass.

The Orfeus, with its 335-ish body, doesn't feel small like a Mustang or Hofner 500/1. And more important, the nut is roughly at the same place in relation to my body as a 34" P or J nut would be. The Bass VI didn't feel small for the same reason - it has a 30" scale neck but the bridge is further up the body, so overall length is the same (actually a bit longer) as a P bass and it feels like a long scale (with cramped strings).
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
Feel is very important. A Mustang/Musicmaster or Hofner looks and feels really small. They have very short necks. EB2s, EB3s, Rivolis, Starfires and so are as long as a P. The bridge is more to the middle.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
Chris hit it on the head.  An eb 2or starfire never feel too short to me but a hofner, longhorn mustang feel like toys... 

32" scale is perfect.  can't understand why it never really was popular.   alembic, curlee nobody else though fodera has had a big seller for the 33" matt garrison bass (5 string high c)  for all the frustrated guitar chord players on the bass....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
To me short scale basses are like fretless, acoustic, 5 string etc. Different strings to the same bow.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
I love to play my 32" Burns Vista Sonic. Ideal scale! Unfortunately her neck's a bit influenced by weather and temperature. Thought about having a new neck made with the escisitng tuners and so, but that's quite expensive.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
I used to be completely unaware of the differences between short scale bass guitars and long scale bass guitars.
Until the day I saw Cry Of Love bass player Robert Kearns with his Gibson Triumph. That put a stop my blatant ignorance.
It was the best sounding bass I had ever heard/seen.

I can't say that I'm a short scale fan in particular. I just love the sound of those Les Paul Basses. And they happen to be short scale. There are short scales out there that I don't care about (7enders for example never did it for me)
In my collection there are 8 shorties and 5 long scales. (think it's about time I bought a few long scales to even the score a bit... LOL)

A few good shortie ambassadors:
Andy Fraser
Allen Woody
Robert Kearns

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »

32" scale is perfect.  can't understand why it never really was popular.   alembic, curlee nobody else though

Kubicki ExFactors were 32-inch....and Hamer made 32's since the late-80s on request, originally for Jack Blades' small hands and then for the general public.

Ideally, a fanned fretboard (Dingwall, Novax, etc) with 32 on the high side and 34 on the low is the perfect combination IMO.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:38:06 AM by mc2NY »