Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Who's afraid of Fusion?

<< < (8/8)

uwe:
Fusion has its place and some of Stanley Clarke's bass playing (not the slapping orgies) can trigger emotions with me. Why anyone should not be able to post here advocating his love for fusion is beyond me. I bought the new Vooten, Clarke, Miller triple bass CD (haven't listened to it yet) just out of curiosity. I'm sure it will contain widdly-widdly stuff, but there will also be moments that make me listen up and maybe I'll even swipe a lick or two!

I can't listen to fusion hours on end, but I can't listen to The Ramones hours on end either. The "too free form" criticism is largely unwarranted, unless we're talking Bitches Brew. If anything, most seventies fusion (Weather Report, Return to Forever), especially with the funk factor, was rather rigid in its arrangements and hardly improvisational at all. Very disciplined and concentrated music. Much of Zappa's music was fusion and except for the master's guitar solos there was zilch improvisation. To say it is not played with emotion, is a clichee. Jeff Beck has been more a fusion than a rock guitarist for three decades now, is his playing unemotional?  :rimshot:

Uwe

Dave W:

--- Quote --- Why anyone should not be able to post here advocating his love for fusion is beyond me.
--- End quote ---

Who said otherwise?

If this had been an "I love fusion" thread instead of a "who's afraid of fusion" challenge based on comments in another thread, there probably wouldn't have been any negative comments.

Now I'm going to go listen to some old time hillbilly music, followed by some old time honky tonk music. Who's afraid of that?  :P  :P  :P

Freuds_Cat:

--- Quote from: uwe on January 20, 2009, 04:14:59 PM --- Jeff Beck has been more a fusion than a rock guitarist for three decades now,

--- End quote ---

Not sure I would consider 3 albums from the 70's out of ....erm, whatever number he is up to now, (a lot anyway) as being Beck playing fusion for 30 years.  Each of the subsequent albums have been pretty fusion free to my ears. I mean some were almost Hair metal (Flash) others were Beckised Rockabilly (Crazy Legs ) then ther later stuff is more Chemical Bros in its sound than fusion.

I reckon thats a bit of a long bow to draw there Uwe.

Sorry I know I'm being a pedantic recalcitrant. Cant help myself.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version