Author Topic: Mac Davis with Elvis story  (Read 746 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Mac Davis with Elvis story
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:06:16 PM »
This is kind of a nice look at the Elvis years...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Davis with Elvis story
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
Great story!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »
Nice post!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize the story would be about that.  Because my uncle had a similar story.  He was one of the security guards in Memphis when Elvis rented the theater for himself.  My uncle did have a few stories about that.  But that was such a long time ago.  And quite honestly I wasn't even paying much attention.  But my overall impression was that Elvis was genuinely a nice person, but maybe kind of lonely in a way.

Also, at my college Mac Davis once performed.  Of course that was also long ago.  Mostly what I remember is the story he told about writing the song "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me."  Something about his producer telling him he had to come up with a hook line for a song.  So he wrote one with the actual word "hook" in the song.  Mac Davis's stories he told on stage were so interesting and funny that you paid as much attention to that as the music.  He is quite a storyteller.  He has a gift for it, believe me.  He knows how to win over an audience. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 04:33:26 AM »
When I went to Graceland (I wasn't invited, I paid entrance!  :mrgreen: ), I was surprised to find it comparatively modest. It wasn't huge, just spacious (especially if you consider his daily entourage) and it had none of that Trumpian interior design show-off'ness; not everything was in good taste  ;D, lots of period pieces and some of it was just cute. As rock star mansions (think David Coverdale) and castles (think John Entwistle or Elton John) go, I thought it was on the lower end of the scale for a showbiz titan like Elvis.

Or maybe it just shows how square feet demands for living space have exploded over the decades.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
I remember seeing Mac Davis in concert during college.  He does have a very winning way, and as noted above, he's a great story-teller.

I also got a kick out of him playing the Cowboys' QB in the movie North Dallas Forty. ..especially the scene where the receiver is in bed with his girls and Davis plays Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle" loudly in the next room.

Interesting old ESPN write-up on the movie here: https://www.espn.com/page2/s/closer/021101.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:28:05 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
I've heard of "North Dallas Forty."  It looks good.  But for various reasons that's a movie that has eluded me through the years. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
When I went to Graceland (I wasn't invited, I paid entrance!  :mrgreen: ), I was surprised to find it comparatively modest. .

likewise that was my takeaway impression.

I was invited! it turns out the "Curator of the Elvis Collection" was a big Def Leppard fan, so whenever they play Memphis she gets a backstage pass in return for a personal tour for any of the crew who want it, which was nice.

She still wouldn't let us in the bedroom tho.