Author Topic: Opossum feature, no popcorn required  (Read 1467 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Opossum feature, no popcorn required
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
The "coon fat gravy" must give it away! Too much of a good thing ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
There is a record label in Oxford, Mississippi called "Fat Possum."

And is there any better location for this label than Oxford, MS? I rest my case.

If that's meant as a putdown, you couldn't be more wrong. Fat Possum is a famous label in the blues world, responsible for recording the last of the hill country bluesmen -- R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough and others.

Oxford was the home of William Faulkner and still is the home of John Grisham. Not exactly a backwater, although I'm sure it doesn't have the lofty intellectual ferment of College Station.  :P

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
I wouldn't put down Mississippi, possibly my favorite Southern state.  (I'm not from there.)  Just the Faulkner association gives Oxford prestige.  I only visited there once, but the Ole Miss campus is the prettiest I've ever seen.  I've lived and worked in Jackson, Gulfport, Port Gibson, and Clarksdale, but Oxford was the most picturesque, IMO.  I realize Clarksdale has great significance for the blues.  But I never got to check any of that out.  It was a time in which I was having to work day and night.  The only thing I saw of Clarksdale was my office, my hotel room and the restaurant where I ate.  It was just a temporary job.  If I ever get a chance to go back. I'd love to see some of the blues-related areas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:05:05 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »
I simply meant that as part of the deep south, MS is the perfect place for a record label name tied to the South and its fauna and culture. Not a putdown, as I have a number of friends from MS and they are great people.

However, one must also admit that there are southern stereotypes, and a record label with that name is consciously playing to them at LEAST a little.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."