Author Topic: Ideas on why videos have disappeared?  (Read 1170 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Ideas on why videos have disappeared?
« on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »
Hi, folks...Dave suggested that I ask this of the group. Over the past couple of weeks, all the videos on the pages in this forum have disappeared for me. I'm seeing still photos fine, but no videos.  This is true in all browsers, so it's not a browser problem.

I did install Opera's private mode, but that was after the problem began occurring. I have uninstalled it.

I can't find any settings in my account here which relate to this, nor do I find any settings in either Chrome or Firefox which seem to relate.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Thanks for any help - Al/Pilgrim
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Ideas on why videos have disappeared?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
It was happening to me a lot here approximately six to eight months ago.  It was happening so often that it was becoming a major annoyance.  Because people post videos here all the time.  Finally, the problem stopped.  I have no idea why it started or why it stopped.  I never changed anything on my computer, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »
Same here.
I can't sign in with Chrome.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
I have trouble on and off (I only use Firefox). It seems it is a security issue. When I can't see videos I can allow insecure elements temporarily, then the page reloads and the video appear though I can't watch it. This browsing session I can see videos but Firefox is warning me in the adress field (a lock with red stripe though it) which means "Connection not sure". The cause is most likely to do with bassoutpost.com not beeing https. When clicking for more info the technical information says there's no encryption on this site making it insecure.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Having no prob with Chrome in the UK...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »
As I mentioned to Al privately, I have no problem in Chrome, Firefox or Opera, whether logged in or out.

Also, there have been no forum software updates this year, so it's not that.

Only other suggestion I have for anyone having this problem would be to temporarily disable your antivirus and see if that helps.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »
I'll try the antivirus and check.  I also know the browsers re getting picky about wanting https sites, but I use others which aren't set up that way yet.

Thanks for the comments, folks.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
I have it sometimes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
No problems with Firefox on a PC for me.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »
Aaaaand....the videos are back.

I'm using Bitdefender and added the site as an exclusion. That may have done it, as Bitdefender seems picky. That was the only change I made, so I thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone.